Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map

I love the change to the old world style. Looking really good so far. I'll be watching this as it develops.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Wip update

haven't had as much time as i would have liked to work on this lately, but here is what i have at this point. I redid the equator line which i wasn't happy with on my last update. the main thing i've been working on is the names and places of cities and provinces in schataria. Since im making this place up as i go along, im finding that it takes alot of time to come up with the names of places because im considering the history of the region and the type of culture and environment of the location. Some of the names will probably change as i develop more of a history and story for this world.

made a couple different attempts at the style of mountains i wanted to use and ended up with these. what do you guys think?

also added another little art piece under the top view.

critiques welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oldworldstyle3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	30381  
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I really dig the hemispheric style.

Can I ask how you set that up? Using that sort of projection would solve some serious headaches I'm having with a world map at the moment.
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is very nearly reasonable, but not quite." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Blog Entries

Can I ask how you set that up? Using that sort of projection would solve some serious headaches I'm having with a world map at the moment.
    It looks like a faked Azimuthal Equidistant projection, or maybe some other azimuthal projection. The polar insets give away the fakeing most clearly if you look really carefully, but it is a clever bit of fakery for a purely decorative map.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    It looks like a faked Azimuthal Equidistant projection, or maybe some other azimuthal projection. The polar insets give away the fakeing most clearly if you look really carefully, but it is a clever bit of fakery for a purely decorative map.
    Ah, I'm all about fakery - "clever" I'll have to work on.

Thanks for the tip on projections. I think I'm on the right trail now.
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is very nearly reasonable, but not quite." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thomryng View Post
    Ah, I'm all about fakery - "clever" I'll have to work on.

Thanks for the tip on projections. I think I'm on the right trail now.
    I'd suggest Stereographic over Equidistant Azimuthal, just do a search for 'Wulff Net' and you should find plenty of templates you can use for the graticule (just be careful to check the license, a public domain example shouldn't be too much work to find.)

Yeah i totally did all the lines by eye with the eliptical path tool. it took me around 4 or 5 attempts to get it to where it is. for the vertical lines, I did one half of the hemisphere and then copied and flipped it horizontally. then did half of the horizontal lines and flipped them vertically. for both, once i got the lines in the right place, i stroked the path with a brush and erased all the lines outside of the hemisphere.

I wish i would have known what the lines were called before hand. It would have saved alot of time=) really makes you respect those old cartographers.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beautiful map... now I'm no expert on these kinds of maps, but the lines seems a little strong to me? ... Love the air elements, especially the angel - can't wait to see the map finished
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

the lines seems a little strong to me?
    Agreed. I have since toned them down so the world would not seem like it was behind bars lol.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    Yeah i totally did all the lines by eye with the eliptical path tool. it took me around 4 or 5 attempts to get it to where it is. for the vertical lines, I did one half of the hemisphere and then copied and flipped it horizontally. then did half of the horizontal lines and flipped them vertically. for both, once i got the lines in the right place, i stroked the path with a brush and erased all the lines outside of the hemisphere.

I wish i would have known what the lines were called before hand. It would have saved alot of time=) really makes you respect those old cartographers.
    Well, I found the Wulff net on Wikicommons, but I still had to put together the circular "frames" by hand. The bits for the individual degrees proved a bit tricky, as the actual distance between the ten-degree arcs on Wulff net are not a fixed distance apart. I ended up rotating a series of copied lines between .9 and 1.15 degrees for half a hemisphere and then copying and flipping them.

Whew!
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast