Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riverwing

Wip Riverwing

My first citymap. Just a sketch yet, since I always start with a sketch.

Quick Legend:
    Red is high, blue is low.
    Red lines is roads.
    Checkered squares is groups of houses.
    Blobby(?) areas is wood.

And the name.. Probably already used? I don't know, I hope not. "River" first in the name is definitly not original, but bare with me, I like it anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	29442  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like a nice layout.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip First Update

Got most of the environment plotted down already, what do you think? Not to happy about the mud, but it wont show to much when I put in the houses anyway

The wall is created in Google Sketchup, and I intend to do the atleast The Castle, monastry and university there too.

(Sorry if the file is a bit big.. Please tell me if it is and I'll uplload it somewhere else)

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	29449  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. No worries about the name the city is built on a river so it makes sense that it would be named "River" something and I'm kind of partial to the name "River---")....as you can see
    Last edited by jtougas; 09-19-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

The mud needs some variation in it...color, pattern, maybe some grass clumps but, as you say, if it's not going to show much then it isn't a big thing. The roofs have inconsistent shadows, though, so that's the only major thing....just rotate some of em around.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

I like the layout. You could do some blending of the river to the bank right now it kind of looks like it's sitting on top of the ground rather than running through it. I love city maps (even though the one I'm working on gives me nightmares...

*Edit* Whoa 100 posts...guess that means I talk too much...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Okey, last update before I go to bed

I've changed the colors a bit.
    Added some shadow to the Royal Garden to make more depth to the hill the Castle is standing on
    Made som variation to the mud

Added the castle, there is a reason for it being so "boring"-looking
    Added the Monastry/Abbey/Church(I really don't know what to call it), but it looks mostly like a big round orange, I don't know what to do to it..
    Added houses, which I'm not thrilled about. Maybe I'll just try to stick with the usual box with courtyard houses for the next update.
    Tried to add tents to the Bazaar. They will look totally different in the next update. I promise ^^

And if you see the black dot on the castlestairs it's just a reference for how big the people are, I forgot to remove it

Name:	2.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	29472  

Blog Entries

This is coming nicely..I think the tents are good (I knew what they were before I read the post.. Maybe you could put an overlay on them to give them some texture variation the same with the dome on the "church" which I also think is good. The River looks better as well. Keep up the good work!!

Finished Maps

Another update. I tried to do the well-known housestyle.. And I have to say that I like it.. Hehe ^^ What do you guys think (Is there any gals here btw? )?

The size of the houses are made after their wealth. Some of the families that live near the castle is even richer than the king. But the king got the power anyway so

Name:	3.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	29513  

Still looks good, maybe some color variation in the houses. And, yes, there are about a dozen active ladies here plus one hubby-wife team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast