Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanly Bowitz and environs...

Default Sanly Bowitz and environs...

Well, it's not as if I don't have enough on my plate but I had some time to play tonight and the lite challenge was just too cool to pass on even though I can't enter it. So. I decided to give it a go and try out some new techniques. Haven't touched the buildings yet but I think the landscape is fairly well developed. As I worked with it I started getting a deserty vibe so I went with that (despite the river) and then the odd building shapes sort of put me in the mind of post-apocalyptic. Combine desert and P-A and you get one of my favorite books, A Canticle for Leibowitz. So, there you have it...and here's the village of Sanly Bowitz and its vicinity, possibly sometime around the events of year 3,174.

Don't know when I'll get a chance to work on it again but got this far and figured I'd post.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	litemap.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	550.8 KB 
ID:	29582  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Great idea! I love the book. Can't wait to see the next update.

Shouldn't this be in the Lite Challenge forum?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Mearrin can't enter the lite challenge - we don't like to talk about it...

(anyone who's won the main challenge, or had a featured map, or won three lite challenges can't enter the lite any more)

Oh.. Ok ^^ Long way to go before I can't enter then

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I feel it, I dig it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks. Grabbing and rotating and placing buildings is taking me forever but I'll hopefully have an update tonight...assuming I can sit at my desktop for more than an hour at some point today.
    M

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Well, it's not as if I don't have enough on my plate but I had some time to play tonight and the lite challenge was just too cool to pass on even though I can't enter it. So. I decided to give it a go and try out some new techniques. Haven't touched the buildings yet but I think the landscape is fairly well developed. As I worked with it I started getting a deserty vibe so I went with that (despite the river) and then the odd building shapes sort of put me in the mind of post-apocalyptic. Combine desert and P-A and you get one of my favorite books, A Canticle for Leibowitz. So, there you have it...and here's the village of Sanly Bowitz and its vicinity, possibly sometime around the events of year 3,174.

Don't know when I'll get a chance to work on it again but got this far and figured I'd post.
    M
    Oh too cool!! A Canticle For Liebowitz is one of my all time favorite books...I actually went on a retreat to an Abbey near my house because of that book..

*Edit* maybe I should do the "companion map " of the town (well city) that sprang up towards the end of the book..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

At some point I'd like to do an area map showing the abbey, Sanly Bowitz, and Brother Francisco's pilgrimage area. There's actually a map of the continent on that Wikipedia link above. Not quite what I pictured but it works. I guess it's pre-Hannegan.
    M

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was just thinking that the "abandoned bunker" map from the last lite challenge would have been perfect to map Franscisco's novate..the last one when he finds the bunker and they bring him back delirious and hallucinating (again)... "bagels milk pound kraut..E"
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast