Thread: Back, and first attempts at battlemaps

Default Back, and first attempts at battlemaps

Been a while since I was last here, but I've gotten into contact with PbP D&D games, and since I can't find a new game which I can join I'm thinking about DMing one. Of course, that requires some groundwork on my part, which includes creating battlemaps.
    I've been trying to find some tuts, and I can remember having seen one here one time.. Haven't found it yet, though.

Right, back to why I'm posting.
    The story starts in the (crowded) marketplace, in the centre of a city that is suddenly attacked by a huge horde of orcs and goblins. The PCs will be forced to flee towards the docks, and charged with protecting an important city residant. At the docks the players will face another encounter before they can escape on the big ship.

NOTE: I have not done any research on ships, so those might be hugely out of proportion..And it's been a while since I've used PS, hence the lack of drop shadow in the marketplace image.. Will add that soon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marketplacebg.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	423.0 KB 
ID:	29466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Docks.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	29467
    Doodle it.

My one critique is simply the scale, is that the resolution of your end product? If so that will cause people who print the maps or run on high resolution displays to have issues. The average PPI or DPI to work with is ~100 for battle maps. Dunno if that's the case though.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

These maps are intended for Play by Post, on an online forum, not intended to print or use in a VTT =)
    I might have placed it in the wrong section? Should this be in urban/city mapping?
    Doodle it.

No you placed it in the right place, I must have missed the PbP when I first read. haha.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.