Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice to enhance my world

Map Advice to enhance my world

Hi to you all, most of you guys got great work here, so continue the great work.

Here's my dilemma and problem:
    -I bought the first CC1 from profantasy then I move on with cc2 pro, with which if mostly finish my gaming world. But now I would like to get it up to a new fresh look, maybe something like Torq's map.
    So what must I do: can I use a program to update some or all of of my layers or must I redo all the work?

-Also I'm still trying to figure out if I should really buy cc3 or not and stick with cc2 pro???

Thanks in advanced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	El-Hazard small.JPG 
Views:	528 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	1707  

Well, I like your map, and I think to myself:

"WOW! If only he had CC3 to apply some effects to the map he already has!"

But then, that's me and I love CC3's versatility.

As to taking a map from CC2 and then utilising it in another program, I think (Think mind you), that you may need to save it in multiple files each time with only a certain layer exposed if you were wanting to take it into another program and work with it with individual layers.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Here's the map; have some fun, then let me know of ur result.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not knowing much about CC3, I'd imagine you would enjoy tweaking your maps, and your results would be satisfactory. But no matter what--WOW, what a big and detailed world you've created! Very impressive in that respect.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

If you want to 'convert' your map (which is lovely btw, I really like the way you've done the coast colours), to one like Torqs, then CC2 (as you've probably already guessed) will not do it for you. You will need a raster editing prog like the Gimp (which is an open source, free download). Obviously if you have a prog like photoshop, you might want to use that instead.

Here is what I suggest you do:

1. Download Gimp if you have not got it already. If you are not familiar with how Gimp works, I strongly suggest that you run through RobA's tutorial on creating an artistic map. Even if you do not want a map that looks like that, going through the tutorial will familiarise you with Gimp's tools and how to use them.

2. Make a copy of your existing map in CC2, but with just the outline of the landmasses in white against a black background and save that as a .BMP or PNG file.

3. Open that file in Gimp, and use RobA's tutorials on creating a not so random coastline and creating heightmaps. The advantage to these techniques is that you have a good degree of control over placement of your heightmaps so that they can follow the mountain terrain you already have.

4. Once you are happy with the results you can either reimport them back into CC2 as a .bmp and overlay your existing map elements on top or bring your CC2 detail into Gimp as a separate layer.

If you are not familiar with Gimp then this is going to be quite a learning process and probably not something you will be able to complete in a day, but stick with it. Becoming familiar with how to use a raster program like Gimp or photoshop is invaluable and when used in conjunction with CC2 can produce some beautiful results.

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    As to taking a map from CC2 and then utilising it in another program, I think (Think mind you), that you may need to save it in multiple files each time with only a certain layer exposed ...
    Word to the wise: I'm not sure if CC2 works the same way, but when I tried this method with CC3, I had limited success because CC3 stretched sheets with less area out to the same resolution as layers with lots of area.

I think I have a workaround, though. Create a hollow rectangle that encompasses the entire map and copy it to each layer before exporting. When you save the layers, CC will calculate the resolution based on that border and should keep everything the same size.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have high hopes.

Edit: I just noticed the names in the southern portion of the map. I didn't recognize it at first due to the license you took with the geography. Is this Randland post-Wheel of Time? Or did you just use the world as a seed and reimagine it?
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 11-22-2007 at 07:09 AM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

So I did a quick conversion of your map (DEAR LORD IT IS HUGE!)

Problem is, it is sooooooooo huge it is hard to get the various effects to look good from all views

But, here it is anyways.

Name:	EH_Timoro.JPG 
Views:	310 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1715  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks guys, I will download gimp and try it, then post the result.

I think; I'll ask CC3 for Christmas...

As for my world, here its story:

1999) I start reproducing the AD&D Birthright world with cc1 my landmass is the Anuire and Rjuirk kingdom inversed.

2001) We start to play D20 Sovering Stone campaign, so I decide reproduce the map, cause the one in the campaign book sucks.

2003) When they stop the S.S. campaign I made a quick check in my own books and create EL-Hazard with Vinnengael has Wheel of time.

20004) we finish the wheel of time adventure and we though it miss too many places for a normal world, so I went looking for something.

2005-2006) the final El-hazard world:
    -Tromek = D20 Rokungan (Legend of 5 rings).
    -Nimra = D&D Mystara, Azcan in the hollow world.
    -Grak = D&D Mystara, kingdom of the orcs.
    -Vinnengael = WoT for the country name and the general shape of the country + palladium rift medieval Timoro kingdom for the town and roads.
    -Po'Gah = Dragonlance, south Ergoth island (made in 2001) + D20 swashbuckler (7th sea)
    for the midnight archipelago.
    -Dunkarga = AD&D Darksun + ravenloft Har'Akir domain.
    -Trevenici = D20 slaine (a conan like campaign setting).
    -Iceland = A made up ice country whit some childhood memory of Might & Magic 3.

I could post the whole world story + games rules, but you will have to read French...

Here 3 maps made with cc:
    - one is the 7th sea campaign
    - one is Birthright anuire and Rjurik kingdom contour (with cc1)
    - one is the original cc1 ergoth map

have fun looking at the old stuff.

Name:	2001 Ergoth.JPG 
Views:	544 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	1716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cerilia.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	1717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7th sea.JPG 
Views:	725 
Size:	666.5 KB 
ID:	1718  

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    - one is the 7th sea campaign
    I really like your 7th Sea map but it threw me for a loop for a minute - it's a mirror image of the original map in the book.

I love 7th Sea/Swashbuckling Adventures, and did some maps of the Glamour Isles in CC3 in this thread:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=596
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast