Thread: El'har world map

Guild Applicant

Wip El'har world map

the map of my main fantasy story and mostly done, lots of races, civilizations, ruins of civs, and magic. Oh, line that passes though the middle of the continent is the Equator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landmass4.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	730.1 KB 
ID:	29479
    Last edited by Kairuf; 09-19-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Your equator runs 45 degrees but your icy region is still oriented up and down. Well, it looks like lil blue snowflakes up there. You will have to either make the equator horizontal or move the icy stuff to the top left of the map, possibly off of the map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm not trying to be facetious or sarcastic, but I sincerely would like to know the reason behind why some cartographers make a map that is not oriented north. I have seen a few and have always wondered if there was a logical reason for it.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The main reason for making a map not oriented to north is that the continent is sort of tilted to one side or has some sort of hook on it like Massachusetts. So if you make it true north then it doesn't fit nicely within a square or rectangle. Therefore we twist it around to fit the shape but this makes the north-south axis tilted.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Applicant

Well the map started out with a north up orientation, but over the couple years of worldbuilding, I had to shrink the scale and rotate the equator forty-five degrees, and realized that the giant wall of ice (it literally goes from temperate forests to half mile wall of ice) made an even better contrast to the power of modern mages and ancient mages.