Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clockwork Maze

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Clockwork Maze

This one was done for Coliseum Morpheuon by Rite Publishing and is now out as a map pack in my Fantastic Maps line.

It was an interesting challenge to create a clockwork map that looked good without making me go totally mad intersecting all the gears Inthe end I creatd a library of fully rendered gears, placed them with variation in size and colour and then did the shadowing and highlighting once all the shapes were in place. The map needed a lot of layers! The map pack has all the cogs in it too - and they're free to be used in your own work if you pick up the map pack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClockworkMazeFantasyMapPreview.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	29515

The map pack can be found here.

This is a commercial map so it is rights reserved in contrast to the general license in my sig.
    Last edited by torstan; 09-20-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Nice stuff. Perfect for Mechanus...just add Modrons!
    M

Blog Entries

Interesting concept. I'd consider buying that just to get the cogs.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

You're right! Now I need a modron pack... Thanks guys

Alas, the Modrons are off on some eternal march through the multiverse...never to be seen again. We've got Formians though! Whatever...
    M

Blog Entries

What on earth are Modrons?

Btw Torstan... you made this map for a commission yet sell this in your own map pack? Is it because you retain the rights to the map that you are able to do this? Just interested to know.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Yep, Rite publishing commissioned the map. As part of the agreed price I retain the rights to sell the map packs of the map - though in reality I do so in partnership with Rite. It's sold through their RPGNow and Paizo sites and they do a lot of the web marketing. However I do all the pdf creation, cover, maptool campaign file creation. It woulds out pretty well - but yes, its a specific contract worked out with those guys. In the map pack it has a line saying that the map is © Rite Publishing and that it's used with permission.

Oh, and Google Images modron (don't worry, it should be safe for work ). They're an old D&D race - one of the weirder ones.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Kudos for having the patience to think up different styles of gears and then not clump them together. Looks nice, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

For reference I googled Steampunk - my word, but there are a lot of images of gears on the internet! I could probably have gone for a few more variations, but after this many I felt I had enough. If I do another I'll spend a bit more time adding a few more variations into the mix.

Horray! Modron! Anyone else here ever play Planescape: Torment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast