Thread: [Wicked North Games] Looking for a world full of maps!

Map [Wicked North Games] Looking for a world full of maps!

Hello,

We are very interested in working with a cartographer who has a fair bit of time to dive into a large and immersable world. We have developed an initial world map and are flexible in your interpretation of that as well, however we are specifically interested in maps of each location in that world. You can find the world map at the link below where you can zoom in and out and explore the world, as well as the downloadable version of that map. We will work with you to get descriptions for various locations throughout the world to help with getting maps designed and integrated into an existing project, being worked on via Kickstarter.com.

We plan on proceeding working with a cartographer regardless of the outcome of the Kickstarter.com project, as we will simply restart the project with more conservative estimates. We are interested in this work being a long-term relationship so we can keep the same stylizations across the board. We'd like to pay based on the scale and detail of a map, for the most part peaking at around $50.00 for a more intensely detailed map, with $20-25 being the minimum. We plan on paying either per item or based on a block of submissions, depending on your flexibility on this area. This will likely include 30+ locations in the world, if not more, depending on the versatility and imagination of the cartographer.

Find the world map here: http://azamar.cinema6games.com
    Here is the kickstarter project link: http://kck.st/bDgoZ6

If you have any concerns or questions please contact me directly via email: jelliot--at--wickednorthgames.com

Best Regards,
    J.

Info More Details?

It appears we need to provide more details:

We are looking for Full Page to Half Page (8.5 x 11, Letter) as these are going into a Gaming Book. So resolution, etc will be limited by this sizing.
    The timeline is dependent more on volume and detail of the work, but our estimate is around 2-3 months.

Aside from the existing World Map, we are also looking for a separate world map, which will detail the extensive underworld called the "Inferium", which is a layered underworld in terms of depth, with the deepest region called the "Molten Deep". There are cities and locations on the surface of Azamar, but there are also extensive cities and locations in the Inferium.

The Inferium world map should be largest and highest DPI of the lot, along the lines of the Azamar World Map. I have posted the Azamar world map in the gallery here.

I will be getting back to those who have already contacted us soon. I just wanted to touch base here in case I'm answering some more general questions that have formed a theme in those that have contacted us.

Please contact me if you have any further questions or concerns. jelliot--at--wickednorthgames.com
    Best Regards,
    - J.

We are still looking for a map maker here. Is anyone able to take us up on the offer and still interested in working with us? We had picked someone and they dropped off and stop communicating so we're assuming they're gone or just not doing the work anymore. Thanks!

- J.

It sounds like a map makers dream but 30 maps in 3 months is at least 1 map every 3 days. I'm not sure I'm up to that pace myself. I wonder if you might get more takers if you started out asking for a few maps? As far as I know most of us here also work so we can't map full time. It's also possible that you mean there are 30+ locations that would be added in over time.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Agreed. Also I had a couple more questions ... you don't mention a style you're looking for (an example or five would be really helpful). Also, you mention "locations" ... are you talking cities? dungeons? overland small-scale? A combination of all three? For example, I may be interested, but city maps are not my forte, so if you're looking for cities (*especially* 3-day cities) I wouldn't be your best fit.

Whereas I would be interested in doing only cities (depending on the style and level of detail given your budgets). Just a thought, but if you came up with a fairly solid style guide on what you wanted your world, you could hire a number of map makers (who could collaborate and share elements with each other) which would give you a margin of safety in the event that one or more of them left the project.

So I guess some clarification is due:

We are looking to work with someone, or group of someone(s), for a long period. What you see with this project: http://kck.st/gxFtgH
    Is that we are willing to take the time and do it right, but also are looking to work with someone who can remain consistent over a period of time. Yes, my original estimates were optimistic, but at this point someone who can possibly work with us for the long haul would be best. We are looking for someone who wants to follow doing work with us onto more difficult projects, as we are line up other worlds to create. Currently we have the following projects in place, chronologically ordered (for the moment):
    Azamar (High magic fantasy) (in progress)
    Westward (Steampunk Western) (just getting started)
    Clandestine (Cloak and Dagger Modern) (starting fall-winter 2011)
    Starcross (High technology Science Fiction, Futurism) (starting likely spring-summer 2012)
    etc

So yes, we are on a rigorous schedule overall, and right now Azamar is about 3-4 weeks from Print, HOWEVER, that does not mean we will stop production on print without all the maps. Instead we can develop adventures around specific locations, etc., going forward, or otherwise take advantage of such things. While my budget is not huge, we are looking to maintain artists for long term work, so we can work out long term contracts and deals, as well as % of sales share on print copies of books where we can cannot compensate an artist more fully up front. We are also making efforts to submit Azamar to GenCon's indy game of the year contest (possibly) and other such endeavors.

As well, most of the maps will be rendered in B&W until our budget expands or in reare cases, we print stuff in full color.

Thanks!
    - J.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Agreed. Also I had a couple more questions ... you don't mention a style you're looking for (an example or five would be really helpful). Also, you mention "locations" ... are you talking cities? dungeons? overland small-scale? A combination of all three?
    You really should answer those questions. Especially what kind(s) of maps you want, and and provide a better idea of how detail is desired. Depending on how you define "intensely detailed map" it could be a lot work even on a 8.5x11 B&W than i personally would be willing to do for $50.

So my point with discussing a long term commitment, I suppose, is that we're looking for one or more persons that can offer a great deal of styles and diversity and are willing to grow and change and take on maps potentially outside their comfort zone. For azamar, we are looking for a world map, and maybe a few other maps right now to get into the book, with others following to develop continued supporting content and to expand and extend the universe. That said, Azamar will focus on more traditionally-resembled mapping, such as JRR Tolkien had in LotR, with an emphasis on making them look as if someone in that world created them.

Other projects we have will not have that same need or look.

Best Regards,
    J.