Thread: Voroya and surroundings

Default Voroya and surroundings

Took a little time out from the monthly challenge, as I needed to throw together a quick map for a d&d campaign. This is based off the world I'm working on in my massive wip map over in the regional forums. The mountains are Pasis mountains and everything else is just a series of endless tweakings of the blending options.

I was originally envisioning it as more cartoony, but I started playing with textures and, well, I just couldn't stop. I'm not really satisfied with the trees, but I'm happy to leave it as is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	voroya and surroundings.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	29521  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that everything is forested, most people just assume that everything is plains but if you ever look out the window of a plane you notice that there are far more forests than plains. Well, unless you're flying over Kansas or Iowa
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ooh, I really like the desert area and how you've made the sands look wind-swept.

I like the forests and the patches of ground between the trees. The dunes look cool also. And I dig your sea effects. Rep from me.

There don't seem to be many rivers...I'd have thought that such a well forested land would have more, but I ain't no expert.

The mountains look like they have some kind of motion blur too me. Not sure what you are going for there...but they are not so easy on the eye as the rest of the piece.(I know mountains are difficult to get looking the way you want)
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 09-21-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I like the swirling sands of your deserts as well. Nice with the trees following the river as well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

You're sea looks really nice. Repped.

Thanks guys

Aval, I hear you, the map has some problems, but I didn't spend very much time on it. Lack of a scale bar is one thing - its actually quite a large area, and the trees shouldn't look anything like they do I debated to myself whether or not to just put in all the rivers anyways, but I decided to just go with the really big ones.