Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: September/October Entry: Tears Of A Dragon

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip September/October Entry: The Sawmill At Northrun

Although I have this as a *WIP* I think I'd better ask if this is allowable. The basic idea is that the river is a "tear", while the streets and buildings will become "scars" and other marks. If this isn't within the guidelines that's ok, this idea just came to me.

Oh, and this is the first time I have ever drawn anything on the computer. Now I think I need a tablet... I'll pretty the drawing up (I hope... ) If I get the ok..

Yeah I have a thing for dragons...

### Latest WIP ###

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	september october challenge.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	762.5 KB 
ID:	29575

*Edit* you may be asking yourself "what made her cry?" The answer? Dwarves of course.....
    Last edited by jtougas; 09-23-2010 at 01:40 AM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Imaginative use of source material...that gets an A. But is it mappy? Maybe if your city-shape was the head of a dragon and the city blocks were the scales (streets are the "cracks" between scales) then I'd say go for it. Just using the image on top of a drawing...well, I dunno. Seems more artsy than mappy but I'll defer to the masses if they have nothing wrong with it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Imaginative use of source material...that gets an A. But is it mappy? Maybe if your city-shape was the head of a dragon and the city blocks were the scales (streets are the "cracks" between scales) then I'd say go for it. Just using the image on top of a drawing...well, I dunno. Seems more artsy than mappy but I'll defer to the masses if they have nothing wrong with it.
    After a little studying of this I think your right..I may go with the "Dragon head" city shape instead...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

You could easily use the dragon head as if it was a constellation (ie, Orion the Hunter or The Bear). I guess it would need to look a bit more ethereal though.

edit: Didn't realize at first this was for the challenge. In the past they have always said it is up to the voters to decide if you have worked within the confines of the assigned material. So basically, you can do practically anything you want and the votes decide.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    You could easily use the dragon head as if it was a constellation (ie, Orion the Hunter or The Bear). I guess it would need to look a bit more ethereal though.

edit: Didn't realize at first this was for the challenge. In the past they have always said it is up to the voters to decide if you have worked within the confines of the assigned material. So basically, you can do practically anything you want and the votes decide.
    I suppose..but I'd rather stick a little closer to the overall guidelines..sometimes I can get WAAAYYY out there...

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    sometimes I can get WAAAYYY out there...
    That's why you get along with Jax so well .

How about a dragon head shaped island?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Hey, it pays to be out there sometimes Or at least I'm hopeful that it will.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Blog Entries

Wip The Sawmill At Northrun

Ok this one is way more "in the box" as they say. I figured that win or lose a few "close up" maps of the areas around Riverhewn would be a good idea so here we are. This is obviously very early but most of the terrain is done and the locations of the Sawmill and the docks are pretty final as well. Here is a quick story to explain this setting:

The Kingdom of Shendenflar is reknowned across the Flanaess for it's fine furniture and other lumber products. Most of the Kingdom's wood comes from the vast Burneal forest in the North of Shendenflar. This wood is transported down the Fler River untill it reaches the village of Northrun. A large sawmill complex is located here where the raw timber felled in the forest is turned into useable lumber.

I widened the river a touch to accomadate a dock for the flat bottom barges that transport the timber. Luckily I have plenty of time for this one..

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	September october challenge northrun.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	29606

Finished Maps

hehe, conformist :-D

Brussels sprouts!

I like it though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    hehe, conformist :-D

Brussels sprouts!

I like it though
    Thanks..I say the same thing every time I use one of those trees...

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast