Thread: Sweetwater Port

Wip Sweetwater Port

Sweetwater Port – Another destination on the Fantasy World Creation Project. The thought is that a Marsh serves a very benign function despite it being Troll and other creature infested (a black dragon in the heart of the marsh perhaps) – it acts a natural filtration system. Mountain streams pour into the larger lake, pass through the marsh where it is purified and well made sweet. There is a nice pun in the name. A port can be a trade destination and an alcoholic beverage. So people come from all around for the Port of Call to trade, but even more so for the Sweetwater Port brewed by the Hobbits that reside there, which is the best in all the land.

Ascension you may notice the building brush work. I used the ones you kindly shared to the forum. Hmmm I seem to be leaning on your tools for all my maps. Hopefully after some practice and experience I will be able to develop my own stuffs to use in my maps.

Anyway, this is a work in progress. There are a few things in this draft that I am not completely happy with and plan on making tweaks here and there.

As always, your feedback is welcomed.

Thanks

Raic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sweetwater_Port.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	861.5 KB 
ID:	29578

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No problem, man. You might want to number up the important sites and put a key in to say what those numbers are.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That is a good idea. The Project will definitely need a guide of some kind. So any thoughts on the Hobbit Homes - complete with little Hobbit doors. I need to re-do the dock work I think, plus toss in some shrubbery and a few gardens.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm.. A Black Dragon filtration system...Anyway Nice work I love the "Shire"..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

For what it's worth, the above ground dwellings could use a some shadows to give some depth. And maybe turn down the bevel highlight opacity so the hills and roofs are not quite so shiny.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

A few updates to the map. Some gardens, a couple trees, and a hedge row added. I am not sure where I got the trees from but it was off of this site. Sorry for not giving props out by name, but thanks none the less. I did use one tree and turned it into the hedge row. Thanks for the suggestion Aval, turning down the opacity did the trick.

Name:	Sweetwater_Port_two.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	856.1 KB 
ID:	29597

Looking better. Nicely done.

Just keep an eye on consistency of detail from here. Make sure that If your hills have shadows then other raised objects need shadows going in the same direction too. Smoke plumes from two sources in the same hill are likely to drift in the same direction.

I look forward to the next installment.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Here is an update to Sweetwater Port. It is a wider view of the settlement.

Name:	Sweetwater Port Third Draft.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	29698

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Nice I especially like the wall...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.