Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wayfairen's Passage

* Updated the above image because it just didn't feel right to upload 4.7 MBs of image for an apostrophe and a dash *

Thanks again, I think you were right Sharpe on the dash and all the rest but I believe you don't have to put a comma before the "and" (as Ramah pointed out). I believe it is ok to but you don't have to. It's been a loooong time since English class though

By the way when I made the map I tried to keep it as general as possible. The tribes of 'Or could be Barbarians or Orcs or whatever sort of rough Viking-ish sort of race you wanted. I imagined it as cold, dark, and unforgiving place. A down right nightmare of inhospitableness. At some points rough weather and then at others silent and eerily calm. I saw the tribesman as those who would willingly raid anyone who dared to enter their lands. As soon as a ship was spotted the signal fires would be lit to race across the land whereupon every available warrior would hurry to the ships. Then like a pack of cunning wolves would pursue, cut off, and take any attempting to navigate Wayfairen's Passage.

Of course, as if that wasn't enough, there is a chance you could run into an actual Sea Monster or two.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I also wanted to give a thank you to Hai-Etlik for providing the Rhumb lines I used in this. I pulled in the ones he created and blew away a bunch of them using the color select which also served to break up the lines a bit which to me added some age or something to the map. Thanks again Hai-Etlik. I would have said something before but I couldn't remember your name. I had to go look it up but when I get on I easily get sidetracked with all the new updates and pretty maps
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

really cool look - a couple of comments even though I appear to be late to the thread.. the world just moves to quickly.
    If feel the look of the settlement icons are clashing a little with the style of the map, I'd expect something a bit darker more integrated.
    The straight's font is a bit small compared to the towns... I personally like to make the font size represent the size of the map element, so waters and mountains and such are labeled larger than towns.. but is only an opionon .. great work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Tilt - you are so right about the size of the lettering. I hadn't realized it until you said something so thank you.

I resized the texts and made some minor tweaks on them. I think I could play around forever with the effects but hopefully this is good.

I tried coloring the town icons darker but it sort of caused the whole map to kind of wash out or just look dingy to me. I don't know why, maybe it's just the contrast, but to me I think this looks a little better. Maybe I just failed to capture what you meant.

I think this is about done unless someone sees something else that I'm totally spacing on. Thanks again for all the feedback guys, it helps alot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wayfairen.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	4.77 MB 
ID:	29655  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The main thing buggin me is the bright colors of the labels (icons and border as well) vs. the muted color scheme of the map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Agree with that. I still want it to be a star map...passage through the warp storms guarding some forgotten realm of the galaxy.
    M

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jax it's awesome. I would lose the scale bar up in the right it's way small and as this map (at least to me) depicts a story or a legend you don't really need it..IMO..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Ok, at the mouth of two witnesses...

So I took another shot at the coloring of icons/labels/borders and I think this one is looking better. Once again thanks for helping me to beat this thing into shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WayfairensPassage.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	29668  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Darklands and Or still look odd but the rest is good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

much better
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast