Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Requesting "Atlas Style" World Map

Sorry DarkUnderlord, dude. We've ben arseing around and no one has given you a straight response. So is anyone gonna help out? There's gotta be half a dozen around here a'could knock this out before breakfast.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I've had a semi-stab at this. Happy to pass on the .psd file to anyone who wants to improve on it.

::edit:: yak, I'm a fiddling....off to watch TV. What is it about us and our irrepressible desire to keep fiddling with our maps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uc render_02.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	30095  

One important point that's missing is scale. How large is the map (miles, kilometers, whatever) in both directions? I might give it a go myself tonight if I get a chance. Be cool if you had several to choose from.
    M

Sorry for the late reply, seems the e-mail notifications stop working if you don't visit the thread after getting one. Kind of annoying as I didn't realise anything had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I've had a semi-stab at this. Happy to pass on the .psd file to anyone who wants to improve on it.

::edit:: yak, I'm a fiddling....off to watch TV. What is it about us and our irrepressible desire to keep fiddling with our maps?
    That's pretty cool. I like the whisp of smoke from the Volcano.

The only real complaint I'd make is it feels a little "cartoony". Possibly because of the black lines around the edges. That and the water texture looks a bit odd? Maybe it's too bright or needs a bit of variation for deeper water or something.

Otherwise:
    • More snow in the North. And if you can, squeeze in some flat "Tundra" style terrain (Civilization style). Not much, just a smidge, maybe brings the Mountains in the top right down a bit.
    • Move the desert right (East) a bit and replace where it moslty is now with plains, savanna, meadow. (Yellow colours?)
    • You've got some nice marshy / swampy looking terrain in the top left, can you move that down to the South Island - and where you have it now, throw in some more fields and grassland? (But leave some of the marshy parts - maybe about 1/3 to 1/2 of it).
    • Mountains look a bit square-ish.
    • Really like that Volcanic island - it is *exactly* the sort of thing I had in mind.

I put some notes on the image for a better idea.

Other than that, it matches the idea I had in mind and will work perfectly for what I want to do. If you're able to make those few changes, I'd happily use it.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    One important point that's missing is scale. How large is the map (miles, kilometers, whatever) in both directions?
    If I use ravells map, the top part is meant to represent a good chunk of a continent. With the island being a large - say England sized - island.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Be cool if you had several to choose from.
    If other people want to take a stab at it, I wouldn't mind seeing some different versions with more land area and less water. Even something just completely different to the one that's been done. My main issues really are just having the terrain variety (things like the Volcanic Island - which might even be a Volcanic area in the mainland if you really want to be completely different).

Sorry, DarkU, I'm working on some other stuff now and it's unlikely that I'll have the time for your edits, although I'll be happy to pass the .psd file onto someone else if they'd like to run with it.

I could possibly edit this if you upload the .psd file

Okey, there you go. Did everything you asked me to do(I think) and some more tweaks.. Hope it isn't awful x)

EDIT: Well.. It sure got a terrible quality when I uploaded it.. x) Don't know what I can do to make it better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unpaid commission.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	30246  

Quote Originally Posted by Marken4 View Post
    EDIT: Well.. It sure got a terrible quality when I uploaded it.. x) Don't know what I can do to make it better?
    Upload it to something like MediaFire in a zip file if you want to get around that (and please do if you can - a nice high Q version would be good for what I'm doing). But that is awesome.

Seriously, thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast