Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP Commission Map - Avoria

Those mountains are just achingly mesmerizing.

Hand drawn? Use a base and then stamp or brushed out from there? Good grief I'm so very impressed.

Have some Rep!
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

I absolutely love the little map icons! Especially that wall as well...I must say that hand-drawn approach is quite beautiful.

The only thing that sticks out to me is that the stroke around the landmass seems a little sharp/harsh considering the rather soft and delicate feel the map has. But this is certainly turning out very nicely.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is a wonderful style, kind of fun and free. Very nice, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like this map alot, the texture is very nice.

Awesome map. Those mountains, they are amazing!

How did you get that texture over the water/land mass? and how did you wash out the color of the sea and ground?

The "base" texture was created using a lot of different layers at a lower opacity so that they show through each other. The end result is what looks like a soft, paper-like surface. I've used it on a couple maps now and really I just play around with the settings until I get something I like. The three main components are Pattern Overlay effects using the Parchment, Washed Watercolor Paper, and Gouache light on Watercolor textures that come with Photoshop. I find layering those up and playing with the settings give me the base texture I want. I think there are a couple of cloud layers in there as well, again at low opacity so that they all blend together. In all about five or six layers on this map just to get the texture.

I basically did much the same thing to get the colors that I wanted...layering different textures and playing around until I got the "washed out" effect I was looking for.

Again, the mountains are from the brush set Quabbe offered in the mapping elements forum...I just colorized them and then just stamped them on. Then I went in and added some highlights.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

I'm still making progress on this one...just wanted to post an update.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avoria-WIP-8.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	31090  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

That's a great looking map! Good job!

I think I have map envy Great job!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast