Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission: Llasterger

Default Commission: Llasterger

I was commissioned to make a map for a novel in the style of a map I made earlier. The idea is to make a black & white version and an ink-on-parchment version. So far I have done the main mountain range and a woodcut effect around the coast.

C&C is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Llasterger Map WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	38669
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 09-22-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like your waves.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Me too. It's a good style.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think this is a fine start (even though I'm not a fan of heavy woodcuts in the oceans, just a preference thing).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is the latest progress on the map. I wasn't very comfortable using someones else's brushes and taking full credit for the map so I made my own. The rivers are pretty much finished except for their tips. They were made using RobA's plugin for tapering rivers in GIMP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Llasterger Map WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	590.0 KB 
ID:	38716  

The mountains and forests have been completed since the last update. I'd like to thank Ramah for the tree thing. It definitively saved me a lot of time of from placing every single tree in the forest. The trees came out of the tree thing a bit aliased so I ran them through inkscape to smooth things out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Llasterger Map WIP 3.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	38867

Looking Great Galli! Can you talk me through a little bit how you get inkscape to vectorise the tree-thing result? I've tried using the autotrace feature in drawplus to do this but because the lines are so thin in comparison to the size of the total png, it doesn't work and I usually just end up with a blank page.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Looking Great Galli! Can you talk me through a little bit how you get inkscape to vectorise the tree-thing result? I've tried using the autotrace feature in drawplus to do this but because the lines are so thin in comparison to the size of the total png, it doesn't work and I usually just end up with a blank page.
    Thanks! After pasting the raster image onto inkscape, I used the trace-bitmap function (Path>Trace Bitmap or Shift+Alt+B). The default settings make lines that aren't too thick or too thin, but if you play with the settings you could make the lines heavier or lighter. I think the forests on the map were made using the default settings but I'm not sure. I hope you found this helpful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast