Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanly Bowitz and environs...

Default Sanly Bowitz and environs...

Hi all,
    I've added a few more details since the last WIP thread post (link) and I'm going to call this one done. The September/October lite challenge "The Town" caught my eye and I wanted to give it a go. As I started playing around with it I started getting a deserty vibe so I went with that (despite the river) and then the odd building shapes sort of put me in the mind of post-apocalyptic. Combine desert and P-A and you get one of my favorite books, A Canticle for Leibowitz.

So, there you have it...and here's the village of Sanly Bowitz and its vicinity, a few hundred years after the events of year 3,174 as described in Fiat Lux (part II of the book). The village that would eventually become Sanly Bowitz was a small collection of hovels at the time Lord-Mayor Hannegan II, ruler of the Texarkana empire, began his conquest of the western plains. Balked in his attempts, through a scouting mission unknowingly led by renowned scholar Thon Thaddeo Pfardentrott, to use the Leibowitzan Abbey as a staging ground for his raids on the Empire of Denver, Hannegan laid siege to the abbey and declared the Holy Roman Church, as led by the Papacy in New Rome, a non-entity within the Empire.

The order of Saint Leibowitz weathered the storm, as did the residents of Sanly Bowitz. In the centuries following Hannegan II's reign, the Church was reinstated and the Leibowitzan Order grew in renown (in part because of the reluctant praise it received in the secular world from Thon Pfardentrott) as the source of much lost knowledge.

Sanly Bowitz, as it had come to be called, became something of a tourist attraction, especially after the construction of a modest cathedral on the spot of Fallout Shelter, the ancient ruins first discovered by Brother Francisco of the Order centuries prior. Within its altar are stored several relics of the Blessed Leibowitz, including numerous doohiki and thingumbob as well as the original blueprints found by Brother Francisco. Above the altar, encased in hand-blown glass, rests the skull of Emily of the Golden Tooth, St. Leibowitz' wife prior to the Flame Deluge and his sacred vows.

The town truly began to prosper when Emperor Hongan Lupas (Mad Wolf), the first Texarkanan ruler of plains nomad descent and a true friend of the Church, ordered an crew of his best sappers to redirect numerous water sources into a channel formed by the ancient roadway running to the south of the town. In mere years the town quadrupled in size as new residents flocked to the formerly parched lands.

Yeah. Okay. Little flight of fancy, mostly off-the-cuff to explain the map. Hope you guys like it.
    M

Edit: Drat! Needs a rose. Totally forgot. I'll design something suitable and slip it in at some point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanly-Bowitz.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	822.6 KB 
ID:	29675  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 09-25-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perfect....or is PREfect...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Really nice map.I like the changes that you have made on the building's roofs so they can fit the desert style.Repped!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This turned out quite nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

You truly are an artist mearrin - amazing work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is good stuff, bro. Mature and natural color scheme, buildings fit in nicely, nothing is overdone.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated. It was a fun map to do. Going to have to give myself a nudge now to try some other styles...I seem to be stuck working with this one.
    M

Edit: @Ascension: Funny you should comment "nothing is overdone". I always find myself overworking any kind of art I try (scribbling too much in sketches, muddying paints, etc.) but, in mapping lately, I've really been trying to make myself put something that looks good down and leave it alone. If I don't like it later I'll just scrap the layer and start over, rather than going back in and mucking about with it. It saves time (main benefit for me because I'll screw around forever with something) but it also ends with a better result, I think.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 09-25-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Exactly. I try and try but never accomplish that...everything I do is overdone.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast