Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September/October Entry: City of Iscarleau

I think the ground texture looks wierd because it is not the right scale. Can you scale down the texture in GIMP? Looking at that texture I would expect the buildings to be much bigger.
    The river looks for like fake fur, than water to me .

You have a lot of space to fill and getting that all to flow and balance without detracting from the town can be quite a challenge. If you have a clear idea of how you are going to do the landscape and how it will compliment the city, thats great. ( Excuse me for butting in early) If not, ask yourself the question: how is all that space going to compliment and draw the viewers eye to the town? As the town is the main focus of the map.

In your poor area the buildings are very hap-hazzard and look like they have been randomly scattered. I imagine even in a slum, people put a bit more thought into where they place their structures. I would also imagine that in poorer areas buildings would be built up against existing structures to save on costs.

I hope that is helpful.

AP
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Thanks for the comments.

@ jtougas: about the water I think that I am going to vary the darkness based on the depth. I was a bit stuck yesterday but I easily found a solution this morning, and thanks for the tip on the road, it shall certainly find usage.

@ Aval: yes I agree with you that the grass doesn't have the correct scale.Now I'm trying to decide if I want to scale down the texture or redesign the whole city, but I think I'll go with the second one as I'm not quite happy with the way it looks.I'm also thinking that if I scale up the city the eye shall be drawed to it easier and yes it was really helpful

I quick question, how do I scale up or down a texture? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    Sorry I don't use GIMP but in my version of photoshop there is a scaling tool when you select the texture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texture scaling.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	29863  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    The way that I do it is to scale the image of the texture that I am using. I usually like to start out with a large texture image (512x512 at least) so I can scale it down when I need to. Hope this helps (oh and I am using GIMP)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thank you guys for the answer.Well Gimp doesn't have any texture scaling tool so I have to do it manually as jtougas described.
    I also read ravells tutorial on fantasy cities and the way I look at city mapping has completely changed.Amazing tutorial!

Now about the map I think that I'm happy with the water at the moment after the depths that I have put in and I redid the whole city layout and changed a bit of the backstory in my mind.
    But generally speaking I now have a firmer idea about my city so I think everything will come out easier.

C&C is welcome and appreciated.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Iscarlaue phase 12.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	29892

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking good. The building placement is right on. Maybe a "fuzzy" airbrush of a "earthy" color along your riverbanks.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Coming along. I am still concerned that you have a lot of negative space, but I have faith in you.

PS. No texture scaling in GIMP, huh?. They need to do something about that.

And yet another update.
    What I have done is quite obvious so I'm not going to start babbling about it.Next up are the buildings.
    Also next to Count Regas's mansion are a series of winding gardens, which is something that I think you should know beforehand(he was quite into gardening).

@ Aval, the negative area is concerning me too.I'm leaving it purposefully to the end so that I will have something ready for the deadline and from that I will be able to keep adding.I'm thinking about some farmlands, a few forested areas, a small quarry next to the cliff, a peer at the lake, a house or two beside the shore and the bridges.If you guys have any other ideas please say so cause they will be useful.

C&C welcome and appreciated

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Iscarlaue phase 13.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	29976

Starting to shape up. Gonna have pick up the pace though I'm thinking, that's a decent amount of buildings to complete in a week.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast