Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September/October Entry: City of Iscarleau

Default September/October Entry: City of Iscarleau

This is my first challenge entry and also my first attempt in mapping something different than battlemaps so it's going to be a learning procedure.The attachment is an early view of Iscarleau. I have only got the main ideas straight and now I'm placing the buildings.I'm posting it now more as of a commitment for me to not back out of the challenge.

"The City of Iscarleau started out as a vacation resort for Count Regas and his wife. With the passing of the years though a small settlement started to flourish south of the mansion and slowly but steadily grew into what today is called The City of Iscarleau.Today, Count Regas's mansion has fallen to ruins after the great wars of the third era and nature is taking back it's territory ontop the hill."

Also here is an explanation for the numbers:
    1. Temple for the Godess of travel Antaerun
    2. Water mill
    3. Varonian Family Estate
    4. Market Triangle

C&C welcome and appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Iscarlaue phase 4 .jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	29678

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great start!! Nice backstory too.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good start, looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I have finished the layouts of the buildings and I have to say that these little buildings are crazy but they have character and that's why I'm going to go with a crazy little city.
    The East Side of the city is the side where the poorer people live and the west side is the side where all the merchants and the nobles have their estates.A mostly symbolic stone fence seperates the two areas.
    After this update I think that I have the layout of the city finished and I'm going to start playing with the textures and the like
    Below is the key for the map:

1. Temple for the Godess of travel Antaerun
    2. Water mill
    3. Varonian Family Estate
    4. Market Triangle
    5.Bank Ave Pecunia
    6. East-Side Shacks
    7. The Dividing Wall
    8. West Side Estates

C&C is welcome and appreciated...
    and btw I have to state that no offence is meant with the east-west side backstory just to avoid misunderstandings.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	The City of Iscarlaue phase 6 .jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	716.7 KB 
ID:	29713

Looking pretty good. Might consider replacing some of the rectangular buildings on the west side with square ones for variety?

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    and btw I have to state that no offence is meant with the east-west side backstory just to avoid misunderstandings.
    LOL. If any one takes offense at the socio-economic divisions in your digital fantasy town I will personally take them behind the router and whip them soundly.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Might consider replacing some of the rectangular buildings on the west side with square ones for variety?
    Yes, I think you're right about the buildings so in the next update the east side of Iscarleau shall have new types of houses.

Minor update, added square houses and messed around making a river texture.
    I'm starting to wonder for how long I will be able to postpone the coloring of the land
    C&C appreciated and welcome

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	The City of Iscarlaue phase 7.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	29770

It's hard to comment until you get a little further along. Push on with some colours, textures and effects on your buildings...I am sure you willl get more feedback then.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I was finally able to find some time to work on this map and I have basically started playing with the textures.
    I discovered how useful the smudge tool is for the river, made the lake and added a basic background texture.I'm not happy with how the lake came out and the ground texture looks a bit weird in my opinion but I haven't played with it yet so I'll leave it for the next update.
    My biggest concern though is if the buildings are or are not out of scale as I have know experience on regional or city maps.
    C&C welcome and appreciated(and this time I think needed)
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	The City of Iscarlaue phase 10.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	29822

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    I was finally able to find some time to work on this map and I have basically started playing with the textures.
    I discovered how useful the smudge tool is for the river, made the lake and added a basic background texture.I'm not happy with how the lake came out and the ground texture looks a bit weird in my opinion but I haven't played with it yet so I'll leave it for the next update.
    My biggest concern though is if the buildings are or are not out of scale as I have know experience on regional or city maps.
    C&C welcome and appreciated(and this time I think needed)
    looking good. you could try varying the colors on your riverbanks (depending on the depth of the river) I like my banks to be really defined as it helps depict the depth and "flow" of the river. Also if the roads are dirt you could outline them with a large fuzzy brush at a low opacity to make them look like they have been "carved" into the terrain over the years. I also really like your water nice job!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast