Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wip Atlantis (my spin on it anyway)

Default wip Atlantis (my spin on it anyway)

The roleplay I am part of takes place on a "reimagined" version of Atlantis, and the first map is the old map we have been using, the second is what Im working on now. Just testing out some tutorials and things, but Im happy with the shape. The coast looks better.

Ive been having trouble getting texture and color down, and any time I try to gaussian blur...things get weird
    oh well, can learn this stuff in a single night (which is how long it took to get from Map A to Map B)
    any tips or fingers pointing to tutorials on how to get good terrain and mountains down would be much appreciated.
    I can do the shape of the landmass fairly well, just filling it in I have issues with

the continent has basically been torn apart by a massive explosion, which is the reason for the crater in the upper left.

nowhere near finished, but just thought Id let people critique
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	732.6 KB 
ID:	26189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	720.3 KB 
ID:	26190  

River system is messed up, but if cataclysm was recent, you could argue it's a temporary, unstable anomaly. What's the scale on this: is this island-sized Atlantis or continent-sized Atlantis? (If I'm reading it right, then you've got mountains that make it look pretty big.)

messed up? how so?

and its a continent

I really do love the crater and the detail there. Was it low land to begin with, or did the crater help lower the elevation there too? (The way the water flows away reminds me of a delta, even if it's way too big for that.)

Rivers don't cross each other, they join as they flow to the sea. The only split (sometimes) in flat deltas (where the channels will naturally shift in a geological instant) which are a tiny portion of the river length.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place

@iapetus: Actually the region was very mountainous, but the explosion was massive (and influenced by magic) so it just ravaged that entire area. Ill admit that, in reality, an explosion that large would probably have caused a world-wide extinction, but hey, its fantasy, so the bending of logic and physics doesnt seem that bad. ( Plus Im not the one making the story, just doing the maps :p )

@rdanhenry: I see. Ill fix that then. :]

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Atlantis actually had canals to the sea instead of rivers so I'd make them puppies straight.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh, I'm a bit more flexible when it comes to fantasy worlds. I was just trying to make sense of the colors used. (Are they like fjords, then?)

@ascension: well Athenya (the city I posted) is the capital and its design is based off of the city of Atlantis, with walls and canals and all that.

@Iapetus: oh the colors for everything dont represent elevation, more natural formations. Forests, deserts, a dead and lifeless wasteland surrounding the crater, etc. Elevation is something Id like to show, but Im having trouble.

Following some tips from Ascensions Atlas tutorial, I made this now

I like it, might tweak it a bit here and there
    add a border, rose, and measurements
    maybe some other stuff
    not sure yet

better than the first ones in the thread at least :p
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	26406  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast