Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maps in use without permission?

I agree that credit should be given where credit is due. If someone took my creations and then took credit for them then I would do everything in my power to make it right. which would be to either give me credit for my work, remove it from the site, or pay me for it.

I could probably translate some of the thread for you if you can't get anything straitened out with the site admin. I know there are some french and canadian cartographers in our midst who could probably do it better though, but I don't mind trying.

Did you come across your maps by accident or did you search for them somehow?
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Did you come across your maps by accident or did you search for them somehow?
    I have searched Google for "Caeruin", the name of my world. I often try to find out on which rank my homepage is listed that way. I tried a few more keywords, like the names of my lands and cities. And so I found the site: http://foretdesenchantee.xooit.fr/f34-Information.htm

It seems as if the area should not have be made public. The previous part of the board requires in any case access permission? However, thanks for the offer. Not, that there is much text to translate. If you can find a hint, for what the forum or the maps were made, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Q

Looks to me like he's assigned the various areas of the map to fantasy races. That's all I can figure. Chrome did translate the main page but there just isn't much to read. There are very few people who belong to the site and it looks like it might just be a few friends doing something but it would be better if you knew for sure. And seeing as it's just a few folks it would seem like they would have no issues adding a blurb assigning credit to you for the original map. I'd hit up one of the French speaking members here though and have them check it out for more details.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well, I don't give much for credit in this case. I'm more interested in finding out what's the idea behind it. I really enjoy reading about my world in a forum I've accidentally found anywhere. Even, if this version of my world is filled with elves and orcs, who I personally banished from my world. Inspiration and entertainment is always appreciated. Might only be a problem, when Chrome doesn't translate it for me and I don't understand a single word.

Q

According to this, there is only one member: http://foretdesenchantee.xooit.fr/memberlist.php.

On that page there is a small PM button which will take you to the Private Message board, but you will have to be a member.

Good Luck with your endeavors.

rmfr

P.S. - Now there are two members. Wonder what he'll do? Leave me in? Drop me? We'll see.
    Last edited by arakish; 09-27-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Just joined the forum in question
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Tineye can find some copies of graphics in odd places. It only works on our map attachments when I upload a copy from my hard disk ... and I think it finds our 3 and 4 Mb files excessive :-). I tried a couple of Caeruin versions, and no copies were found -- not too surprising that immense Google has done a better job indexing a French site off in a corner of the net, than the (fairly new) Tineye service has. I tried some other random maps from the Finished Maps forum and it found a couple of the perfectly legitimate deviantart versions put up by the cartographers themselves. Tineye might also miss a copy if someone had made a lot of mods. But I did try it with a simple poster that I'd modified, and it found the original.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    It only works on our map attachments when I upload a copy from my hard disk ...
    Attachments are only visible when logged in (unlike personal galleries) so a web service like tin-eye can't access them by URL.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12