Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I thought I'd share how the tutorials are affecting my mapmaking skills :)

Wip I thought I'd share how the tutorials are affecting my mapmaking skills :)

Well I spent today working through Ascensions Atlas style tutorial and I'm pretty blown away by what he's achieved - and been gracious enough to share. I thought I post my map before I read the tutorial and after to compare and contrast the difference that a single tutorial made to my output!

Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	29726

After

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	29725

Geographically it's an abomination lol but it's nice to take a step up the old learning curve.
    Last edited by Mordizer; 09-26-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Clarification

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty good, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ascension - although to be fair you can probably take credit yourself for the good bits in that map. It's really opened up a few new options for me seeing the way you used lighting effects to generate the terrain 'bumps', I'll be having a look through your mountain tutorial next - I'd like to reduce the randomness a bit on my next attempt and take control of some of the land features a bit more. When I came to do the rivers I looked for patterns where downslopes would cause water to run but the random nature of the landscape made it difficult to pin down where they would flow. I originally made these landmasses using Fractal World Explorer (By NBOS) so in their natural form they were a bit more logical but I'd modified it a lot so I could export it into Campaign Cartographer 3. CC3 crashes so much that I abandoned it and went back to Photoshop and to be honest it's a more natural environment for me, I know where I am with layers and filters.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only problem with fractal generators is that they tend to put the mountains in the middle of landmasses and you don't get something like the Andes because of that (they run down the west coast of South America). It's not a big thing but a thing nonetheless. Sure my randomness has its drawbacks as well so that's why I use the Lasso Tool (with a 50 pix feather) to pick out chunks and move them around. My method is best for creating totally random things to play with just to give you an idea of what you may want. If you already have a landmass planned and know where the mountains are then your best bet is to use the black and white airbrush to paint the difference clouds to be more precise.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

with regards to CC3 crashing, you have updated it haven't you?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yes I have NeonKnight, before that it wouldn't start at all! I like what CC3 offers but I just don't trust it - I don't think I've ever got more than an hour before a crash and when I work on a map in Photoshop I tend to stay at it the whole day and it'd be soul destroying to lose that much work

Ascension - I'll take your advice about the mountains on board, I was happy with the mountains in the middle of the continents but now you mention it that isn't really true to real-world geography. I'm going to have another crack at that map at the weekend - there are a few mountain tutorials around here that I plan to work through and I think I need another dozen attempts to get the river system right at least! I'm thoroughly enjoying this learning process though, every pass through seems to bring out a result that I previously would have thought beyond my ability so although it's a steep learning curve you really do see results as you work through it. One thing that's obvious already though is that you don't just "knock up" a map, you really have to inject your consciousness into it and feel the make up of the different regions to make them hang together logically as well as visually don't you?

Do you run a powerful computer setup? Some of the CC3 enthusiasts are running quad core proceesors with 12+meg of ram etc etc.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Yup - without going into all the funny words it's a ridiculously powerful machine. I do run a 64bit OS though and I'm wondering if that's what's making it throw a shoe? I bought the Dell top-of-the-line gaming rig last year, it's almost a waste that I very rarely do any gaming with it but I'm a .Net developer and the development studio runs like a dog unless you have a powerful machine.

Wip Another walk through the same tutorial but with a bit of my own input this time.

Here's another go with the same atlas - this time I used the file straight out of the Fractal Terrains package to see if I could use the actual raw terrain image but I don't really think it worked. I kinda like the way the water came out on this one though

Name:	Version_3.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	29938

One last question with regards to CC3, I know I too at times suffer the crashing issues (won't lie), and as a result I run with the software doing auto backups every 4 minutes or so (I have it set to not even ask me, just do it), as a result, I may lose at most a couple of items, but certainly not the soul crushing 3 hours work like I have in the past.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast