30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

12 40.00%
  • It's not for me

18 60.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sword of truth

Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    That could be an interesting challenge. I love the saga. Except maybe the last 15 books - the first two one were definitely the best in my opinion. Nevertheless, I had much fun reading them and the complete saga is simply epic.
    There are only 11 books. Maybe you're thinking of another series?

I'm pretty sure that I've read 17 books. Maybe they've split them in a few more parts in the german version?

Q

Quote Originally Posted by ennob View Post
    As long as we don't directly copy anything I think we should be OK. The creation of a map that doesn't exist in the books (or anywhere else) could at most be considered fan art, and it certainly seems to be "fair use".
    For what it's worth, Goodkind has expressly disallowed fan fiction. Any fan art that uses the names of characters and/or locations within his world are covered (probably) by copyright law. The law in most jurisdictions is rather hazy on that point, since copyright really isn't designed to cover the use of singular words like names. In any case, Goodkind disapproves of fan fiction set within his world, so I should think that artists should also tread lightly, and the Guild should not sponsor a challenge that contradicts an author's wishes (even indirectly).

http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Terry_Goodkind
    Unfortunately, The Taint, which is the original source of this information, is now offline, and the Wayback Machine does not store forum databases. So there is no way at present to truly verify Goodkind's policy short of contacting him and asking.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I've read 17 books. Maybe they've split them in a few more parts in the german version?
    Goodkind's books tend to be rather long. Robert Jordan's novels were split into multiple volumes when released in Germany for that reason (and the German versions had much better cover art, by the way), so it would not be at all surprising if Goodkind's were treated the same way.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 09-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

It isn't just the need to read the books in order to enter the competition: I wouldn't really feel I could make an informed vote on the maps, since I wouldn't know a brilliantly researched one from a wildly inaccurate one, so I wouldn't vote.

I would certainly be interested in a "pick your literary inspiration" sort of mapping challenge. Open it up to the map-maker's favorite author/work and I think you'd get a lot of participation. I'd probably go sci-fi.
    M

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    It isn't just the need to read the books in order to enter the competition: I wouldn't really feel I could make an informed vote on the maps, since I wouldn't know a brilliantly researched one from a wildly inaccurate one, so I wouldn't vote.
    Heh, I kinda felt this way with the New York challenge maps, since all I know about New York is what i see on tv and the news, which isn't all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    For what it's worth, Goodkind has expressly disallowed fan fiction. Any fan art that uses the names of characters and/or locations within his world are covered (probably) by copyright law. The law in most jurisdictions is rather hazy on that point, since copyright really isn't designed to cover the use of singular words like names. In any case, Goodkind disapproves of fan fiction set within his world, so I should think that artists should also tread lightly, and the Guild should not sponsor a challenge that contradicts an author's wishes (even indirectly).
    Ah OK. I guess that settles it. What a shame, it's such a cool world.

In light of that, I think mearrin69's suggestion about a "pick your literary inspiration" mapping challenge is a good substitute. Although it suffers from the same problem as this challenge in that it's hard to judge the contributions for outsiders. At least how well they adhere to the original source material.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm..Thomas Covenant anyone?......
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Apprentice

What about The Hobbit series? Or Elric Moorcock series? Or even the Wit'ch series?

Thomas Covenant, from what i remember, wasn't very descriptive of cities/lands, but then again, its been a long time since I read them.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by verdilak View Post
    What about The Hobbit series? Or Elric Moorcock series? Or even the Wit'ch series?

Thomas Covenant, from what i remember, wasn't very descriptive of cities/lands, but then again, its been a long time since I read them.
    I don't know the descriptions of the Stonedown always makes me want to draw them..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast