Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

12 40.00%
  • It's not for me

18 60.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sword of truth

Barring letting the cartographer choose his/her own inspiration you could pick a more widely read work such as The Hobbit, mentioned above, or The Lord of the Rings. I'm pretty sure most folks on here will have read those. I've read a lot of sci-fi but very little fantasy myself...Hobbit, LotR, Elric, and that's about it (yeah, I'm missing out but I haven't been all that impressed with most fantasy authors I've read).
    M

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Hmm..Thomas Covenant anyone?......
    I'd rather drown in a puddle...
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    I'd rather drown in a puddle...
    Now I wonder if you just said that to get me to say something clever..? Are you one of the "misinformed" horde that thinks the Unbeliever series is plodding and wordy?..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Now I wonder if you just said that to get me to say something clever..? Are you one of the "misinformed" horde that thinks the Unbeliever series is plodding and wordy?..
    That was hours mind numbing boredom, punctuated with annoyance.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a confession I actually read those books before I read the Lotr It was in fact one of the first fantasy series I had ever read. So I think that makes me partial to it.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Distinct disadvantage for those who haven't read it as far as options go.
    It's why I voted NO
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by verdilak View Post
    What about The Hobbit series? Or Elric Moorcock series? Or even the Wit'ch series?

Thomas Covenant, from what i remember, wasn't very descriptive of cities/lands, but then again, its been a long time since I read them.
    I was thinking Just That! ELRIC of MELNIBONE and the Young King Kingdoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't Thomas Covenant from the Deryni Series? Those read at times like History Texts.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

It looks like this one isn't going so well but while it's a good background for making some maps it would probably work best as fanart.

Also, remember while many of the people here are avid readers of fantasy there are a good number who are just into maps. Now if this was "Make a map based on a book", I think it would go quite differently. It may just be a bit too specific.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I voted NO, because I prefer to make completely original maps of original places (of my own creation) - not making maps of other people's places, unless I'm getting a paid commission to do so. In other words if the publishers of the LotR wanted me to make a map of Middle Earth and paid me to do so - I'm willing to do it. But for a challenge map? No, not interested. If you look through all the challenges over the past three years, all but one maybe is about are all original map subjects.

For example while I do plan to create at least one map for the New York (September-October) challenge - its not really what I prefer to do. I don't really want to make a map of a real city, ever. I prefer maps of my own creation from scratch, based on an idea perhaps, but not on an existing map. That's no fun for me. However, for the sake of the Soho Gallery, is the only reason to do otherwise.

GP

PS: I don't mind reading trilogies, but even the Song of Ice and Fire, which is currently at book five, has me bored to tears - I don't want to read a series that's more than 3 books if I can help it. So I'd never read the Sword of Truth, or Wheel of Time or any other series of too damn many books...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Is Song of Ice and Fire at book five now? I am just finishing book four now--I normally wait to read series books until the last one is out. I hate waiting and now I'm going to be waiting five years to hear the conclusion! I didn't pick up The Dark Tower until the last one was out for this reason. <grumble grumble>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast