30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

12 40.00%
  • It's not for me

18 60.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sword of truth

Default Sword of truth

Map an area (or the entire known world) from the epic fantasy series "The Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind.

There's already a rough map on the inside of the cover of all 11 books, so that would make a good starting point. There are a lot more details described in the books though so there should be plenty of possibilities for all.

I'm thinking about doing the sorceress' swamp from book 7 "The Pillars of Creation".

/ennob

P.S.: If you like books and didn't yet get around to reading The Sword of Truth, put it on your list. It's easily as good as The Wheel of Time.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

heh yeah I like the series, and the TV show Legend of the seeker was also half decent (in a cheesy sort of way). (the quote at the bottom of my sig is from LotS.)

As to being as good as the wheel of time, I'd have to say it was better. Wheel of time really got boring after the 5th or 6th book for me, and I never could force myself past path of daggers.

Blog Entries

Considering how polarized opinion is about those books, perhaps something less controversial would be a better choice. Or allow for any published fantasy world.

Either way, there is the problem that it could potential step on toes regarding copyright though (IANAL so I don't know how much of a problem this would be for sure.)

Distinct disadvantage for those who haven't read it as far as options go.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Apprentice

I love the SoT series (not the tv show very much though). I would be very keen to do a map for such a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Considering how polarized opinion is about those books, perhaps something less controversial would be a better choice. Or allow for any published fantasy world.

Either way, there is the problem that it could potential step on toes regarding copyright though (IANAL so I don't know how much of a problem this would be for sure.)
    As long as we don't directly copy anything I think we should be OK. The creation of a map that doesn't exist in the books (or anywhere else) could at most be considered fan art, and it certainly seems to be "fair use".

We could also go for any published fantasy world but IMO it's somehow nicer if the maps have a common theme. Of course, as Jaxilon points out, people who didn't read any of the books will not find the challenge that easy. They will either have a bit of reading to do or they can just submit their latest village. The world is big enough that almost anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by verdilak View Post
    I love the SoT series (not the tv show very much though). I would be very keen to do a map for such a challenge.
    I completely agree. The TV show doesn't capture the characters at all and it deviates wildly from the story in the books.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Distinct disadvantage for those who haven't read it as far as options go.
    ...Exactly

That could be an interesting challenge. I love the saga. Except maybe the last 15 books - the first two one were definitely the best in my opinion. Nevertheless, I had much fun reading them and the complete saga is simply epic.

Q

I don"t think that this is a good idea for a challenge because it would exclude many people because they don't know nothing about the saga (like me) and I don't think that there are many people around here who would read the books just to enter the challenge.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast