12 40.00%
  • It's not for me

18 60.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sword of truth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sword of truth

Map an area (or the entire known world) from the epic fantasy series "The Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind.

There's already a rough map on the inside of the cover of all 11 books, so that would make a good starting point. There are a lot more details described in the books though so there should be plenty of possibilities for all.

I'm thinking about doing the sorceress' swamp from book 7 "The Pillars of Creation".

/ennob

P.S.: If you like books and didn't yet get around to reading The Sword of Truth, put it on your list. It's easily as good as The Wheel of Time.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

heh yeah I like the series, and the TV show Legend of the seeker was also half decent (in a cheesy sort of way). (the quote at the bottom of my sig is from LotS.)

As to being as good as the wheel of time, I'd have to say it was better. Wheel of time really got boring after the 5th or 6th book for me, and I never could force myself past path of daggers.

Blog Entries

Considering how polarized opinion is about those books, perhaps something less controversial would be a better choice. Or allow for any published fantasy world.

Either way, there is the problem that it could potential step on toes regarding copyright though (IANAL so I don't know how much of a problem this would be for sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Considering how polarized opinion is about those books, perhaps something less controversial would be a better choice. Or allow for any published fantasy world.

Either way, there is the problem that it could potential step on toes regarding copyright though (IANAL so I don't know how much of a problem this would be for sure.)
    As long as we don't directly copy anything I think we should be OK. The creation of a map that doesn't exist in the books (or anywhere else) could at most be considered fan art, and it certainly seems to be "fair use".

We could also go for any published fantasy world but IMO it's somehow nicer if the maps have a common theme. Of course, as Jaxilon points out, people who didn't read any of the books will not find the challenge that easy. They will either have a bit of reading to do or they can just submit their latest village. The world is big enough that almost anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ennob View Post
    As long as we don't directly copy anything I think we should be OK. The creation of a map that doesn't exist in the books (or anywhere else) could at most be considered fan art, and it certainly seems to be "fair use".
    For what it's worth, Goodkind has expressly disallowed fan fiction. Any fan art that uses the names of characters and/or locations within his world are covered (probably) by copyright law. The law in most jurisdictions is rather hazy on that point, since copyright really isn't designed to cover the use of singular words like names. In any case, Goodkind disapproves of fan fiction set within his world, so I should think that artists should also tread lightly, and the Guild should not sponsor a challenge that contradicts an author's wishes (even indirectly).

http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Terry_Goodkind
    Unfortunately, The Taint, which is the original source of this information, is now offline, and the Wayback Machine does not store forum databases. So there is no way at present to truly verify Goodkind's policy short of contacting him and asking.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I've read 17 books. Maybe they've split them in a few more parts in the german version?
    Goodkind's books tend to be rather long. Robert Jordan's novels were split into multiple volumes when released in Germany for that reason (and the German versions had much better cover art, by the way), so it would not be at all surprising if Goodkind's were treated the same way.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 09-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    For what it's worth, Goodkind has expressly disallowed fan fiction. Any fan art that uses the names of characters and/or locations within his world are covered (probably) by copyright law. The law in most jurisdictions is rather hazy on that point, since copyright really isn't designed to cover the use of singular words like names. In any case, Goodkind disapproves of fan fiction set within his world, so I should think that artists should also tread lightly, and the Guild should not sponsor a challenge that contradicts an author's wishes (even indirectly).
    Ah OK. I guess that settles it. What a shame, it's such a cool world.

In light of that, I think mearrin69's suggestion about a "pick your literary inspiration" mapping challenge is a good substitute. Although it suffers from the same problem as this challenge in that it's hard to judge the contributions for outsiders. At least how well they adhere to the original source material.

Distinct disadvantage for those who haven't read it as far as options go.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    ...Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    It's why I voted NO
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I voted NO, because I prefer to make completely original maps of original places (of my own creation) - not making maps of other people's places, unless I'm getting a paid commission to do so. In other words if the publishers of the LotR wanted me to make a map of Middle Earth and paid me to do so - I'm willing to do it. But for a challenge map? No, not interested. If you look through all the challenges over the past three years, all but one maybe is about are all original map subjects.

For example while I do plan to create at least one map for the New York (September-October) challenge - its not really what I prefer to do. I don't really want to make a map of a real city, ever. I prefer maps of my own creation from scratch, based on an idea perhaps, but not on an existing map. That's no fun for me. However, for the sake of the Soho Gallery, is the only reason to do otherwise.

GP

PS: I don't mind reading trilogies, but even the Song of Ice and Fire, which is currently at book five, has me bored to tears - I don't want to read a series that's more than 3 books if I can help it. So I'd never read the Sword of Truth, or Wheel of Time or any other series of too damn many books...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast