Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grinning Goblin..Riverhewn's Local Watering Hole..

For the blending, you may want to lower the threshold a little on the fill step, this would prevent the entirety of the shadow from the drop shadow from being consumed and prevent it from having a straight line look.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip The Grinning Goblin Tavern closed temporarily

Ok todays update. I decided that I liked my first design enough that I could just modify it to include the new features that I wanted. I sometimes find myself being so intent on listening and applying everyone's feedback that I lose the original "feeling" that I had for a project. (although I DO appreciate every bit of feedback that I get.. ) I guess I forget that it's ok to like what you've done.. So I redid the walls of the goblin and added some interior walls to add a kitchen, storage area,private room, and of course "The Bog.." I also applied the advice about variety in furnishings. I got the tables from the Dunjinni forums and modified them so I could place whatever I wanted on them. All in all I'm pleased with how this is coming. I also have enough space outside the Goblin to detail a little bit of her neighborhood. I think Rog will like the new Goblin and his wife won't be forced to cook in that dingy basement all day.. As always feedback requested and appreciated.. Thanks!!..

*Edit* I had to resize the jpeg in order not to exceed the file size. the original is 2500x2500..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Grinning Goblin.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	29773
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe rotate some of the 'round' tables so they aren't all facing the exact same way.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Maybe rotate some of the 'round' tables so they aren't all facing the exact same way.
    Yeah I noticed it was a bit too orderly after you mentioned it. looks more like an "Applebees" than a fantasy tavern..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Looking pretty good. Suggest going in by hand and erasing out the cut-off paving stones, leaving only whole stones. The chimney's a little blurry but maybe that can't be helped. Looking forward to what you're going to do with the neighborhood...the Goblin's looking nice.
    M

Good stuff. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post...where did you source those paving stones?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Blog Entries

Wip The Grinning Goblin Grand Re-opening...

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Looking pretty good. Suggest going in by hand and erasing out the cut-off paving stones, leaving only whole stones. The chimney's a little blurry but maybe that can't be helped. Looking forward to what you're going to do with the neighborhood...the Goblin's looking nice.
    M

Good eye M. I've been staring at this thing for so long I missed that. (fixed)

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Good stuff. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post...where did you source those paving stones?
    They came from Greytales Nook. Not much there but what is there is awesome. I'm going to put together a list of all the elements and thier sources. I am being careful to make sure that everything I'm using is available for public use. *EDIT* This was badly worded by me. Greytales Nook is awesome. He has a large selection of items all of which are top notch

Ok HUGE update tonight (well VERY early A.M thats what happens when Ava is at mommies for the week.. )

As you can see I made a few changes

1.The private room got a new floor and a fancy new table and matching stools. (NOW it's a comfy spot to plan your next adventure..)

2. The Kitchen is now fully operational for your dining pleasure (I reccomend the steak..)

3. The privy has been extensivley upgraded with a new floor and a "washing" station

4. Rog and Raliel Nenshen proudly welcome you to the new and improved "Grinning Goblin"..

I am having a blast working on this map. I keep thinking back to the early days when places like this were being "fleshed" out the stories and adventure hooks would fly like the frito's and mt dew.. I am going to go out on a limb here and say this very well might be my favorite so far...

As always feedback is requested and apprciated.. Thanks!!

Views:	128 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	29790
    Last edited by jtougas; 04-08-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Finished Maps

Nice progress and a good choice to start again. What program do you use for this? If you use DD3 you can make a few layouts very fast, sleep a night over it and chose your favourite the next day. Creating it with a raster program like PS or Gimp takes much more time and you should be shure about the layout before investing much time in something you don't really like at the end.

This map looks so happy and funny.(In a good way)
    Also I'm wondering what is all the empty space that you have in the map for. I might have missed it in an earlier post but oh well.

Edit: Just found it out I think, so you are going to design the whole neighborhood... *waiting patiently for updates*

Blog Entries

Wip Mariel's Bakery...

Quote Originally Posted by Katto View Post
    Nice progress and a good choice to start again. What program do you use for this? If you use DD3 you can make a few layouts very fast, sleep a night over it and chose your favourite the next day. Creating it with a raster program like PS or Gimp takes much more time and you should be shure about the layout before investing much time in something you don't really like at the end.
    Thanks for the kind words I'm using GIMP with money being tight I can't really justify the cost of CC/DD3 and I'm enjoying the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    This map looks so happy and funny.(In a good way)
    Also I'm wondering what is all the empty space that you have in the map for. I might have missed it in an earlier post but oh well.

Edit: Just found it out I think, so you are going to design the whole neighborhood... *waiting patiently for updates*
    Thanks !! that's exactly what I was going for..(oh and here's an update for you..

Located next to the Grinning Goblin tavern on "The Walk" in center Riverhewn is Mariel's Bakery. A small shop with a large work area in the back, Mariel's supplies some of the finest baked goods in the city. Her "sugarberry" pie has won numerous awards and is served in Riverhewn's finest establishments...

Ok, Mariel's Bakery. This one is fun. I've been making more of my own elements including the large oven. Overall I'm fairly satisfied with how this is coming out. (Although the oven is a bit "clunky..") As always feedback is requested and appreciated.. Thanks!!

Views:	126 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	29816

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast