Thread: A Yurt - for the Nomad within

Default A Yurt - for the Nomad within

The challenge was to create a location where a party of adventurers could meet, group up and head out for the wilds of adventure. The Tavern/Inn was too obvious and I usually try to think outside the box and that's when I thought of a Yurt. I think the modern ones are quite sexy and I figured it would at least be different. I didn't win the challenge but had a lot of fun and it did pretty well in the votes. I think this may be headed to the CWBP which, if true, is pretty awesome in my opinion.

I had the most fun imagining and making up all the little areas inside. The War table with the map and books is my favorite. Folks called the welcome mat a 'goat head' but in fact I thought of it as an angry Donkey who says, "Don't Jack with the Yurt".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yurt stepsave2.jpg 
Views:	2273 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	29277  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I said so before but will again: great map! As to the CWBP, Argria wants YOU(r yurt)! I've got to get back to that map but there are plenty of yurts on the western edge of the city. Yours would fit in nicely. A wealthy clan, I would think!
    M

I like it. Good use of colour and arrangement. I am gonna rep you for this and the othe cool projects you have done lately.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I really like this image. Yes, it is vibrant and creative, but what I really like are the implied moments. I mean, who left that book on their sleeping blankets? What are they reading? Who all came for a late meal? Did anyone fuss over who got which pillow? You've given us all these hints at life, potential stories. That's why I keep looking at this yurt again and again.

@ lisze: Thank you, that has to be one of the best compliments I've heard. It is exactly what I love to find when I look at maps myself, things that make my imagination wander down a path for a moment. To sense a story there and have to imagine what it might be...yeah, I like that too.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Nice! I want a yurt for my backyard now!