Greetings to all!
I've been lurking around here for a few weeks and finally decided to sign up. The site is fantastic--I wish I had found it sooner.

About me: I've been drawing maps as long as I have been able to hold a pencil, which, in my case, is approaching 30 years now. Unfortunately, "real" life has prevented me from really getting into it like I would have liked. I've only recently looked into the electronic realm of map making. It's as if a whole new world was opened before me.

In any event, despite calling myself "The Cartographist" (a handle from several other forums prior to me finding this one), I am in no way in the same league as many of the people who post here. I hope that I do not offend.

I have two questions, for anyone willing to answer them:

1. Can somebody please explain to me the big deal about Campaign Cartographer? (Before I am stoned to death, let me explain myself, keeping in mind that my personal biases probably are the reason for this question.)
* MOST of the work that I have seen generated from it doesn't really impress me.
* This is a personal bias, but I prefer to look at maps on paper, and, unless I am mistaken (which is very possible), to print most of the work from that program would kill the average ink cartridge in about ten maps. I would much rather have a decent map on a piece of paper, than a very detailed, colorful map that I could only look at on a computer screen.
* In MOST of the work that I have seen from CC, the result is a map that looks, well, computer generated, i.e. technical or futuristic and not "fantasy". What is the point of having a map of an ancient shrine to the elven gods if it implicitly looks like it was created using technology?

2. For those members who may be professionals who post here, is there any etiquette with respect to plugging their work or professional activities?

I sincerely hope these questions don't offend; I'm just trying to find my way in the world.