Thread: Kandan

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wip Kandan

While I work and struggle on my NYC challenge map, I wanted to start something else so that when I get frustrated on the challenge map, I can go and get frustrated on this map.

This is going to be a post-apocalyptic Canada, after a massive climatic upheaval (the whole planet is much, MUCH warmer; there's no polar ice any longer, but the Earth is also a bit closer to the sun now, so that extra water has somewhat evaporated). ...Which is my non-scientific and easy-way-out to explain mostly familiar coastlines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kandan1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	383.3 KB 
ID:	29809  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Eek! the great lakes are gone :/

I always like looking at how greenland would look if it were thawed. good job so far!

Thanks! Yeah, the Great Lakes is now the Great Empty, a big, arid barren spot only a bit more hospitable than the Waste Land, which is most of the US, Mexico, and points south.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    While I work and struggle on my NYC challenge map, I wanted to start something else so that when I get frustrated on the challenge map, I can go and get frustrated on this map.

This is going to be a post-apocalyptic Canada, after a massive climatic upheaval (the whole planet is much, MUCH warmer; there's no polar ice any longer, but the Earth is also a bit closer to the sun now, so that extra water has somewhat evaporated). ...Which is my non-scientific and easy-way-out to explain mostly familiar coastlines.
    Post-apocalyptic Canada? who would notice... Oof.. just kidding looks cool and a cool story to make you look closer at the map..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Post Apocalyptic Canada? - Did all the beer suddenly disappear?

Looking good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Update; still working on the mountains! I put in some preliminary names, though they're subject to change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kandan2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	867.6 KB 
ID:	29882  

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map's nice. One river problem: How can a river run out of the great empty into the ocean? Those former lakes are still lower than the surroundings, for sure, or otherwise you need to fix how they are displayed on the map.

Here's a good reference for an ice-free Greenland: http://www.biomind.de/nogreenhouse/d...and-no-ice.jpg

Here's another awesome one: http://www.berann.com/panorama/archi...ge/PN_W_05.jpg

Guess you are pretty close, except for the northern channel.

Yep, that river'll be corrected. I took a bit of artistic license with the flooded Greenland, and if you look closely you can see that I also separated Nova Scotia from the mainland. There's a reason for that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Yep, if you look closely you can see that I also separated Nova Scotia from the mainland. There's a reason for that though.
    Yeah, one of my best mates is from Nova Scotia. So to me the reason is obvious.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..