Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash

Question Flash

Has anyone ever done a map in Flash. It would allow you to zoom in on it up to 2000%. So you could have a world map and zoom in on every town. I thought about doing it, but I'd thought I would ask first.
    Last edited by Qin; 11-26-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Gramitical error
    Tools: Photoshop CS3 Extended

Post that's been discussed, but one issue...

Flash map design because its vector can work as any vector program, flash allowing animation for zoom is a great ability.

But you miss one point regarding maps. A true map is a simplification of the reality, not a photograph of the earth's surface.

Its true if you could zoom in close, you could read the spellbook on the table in the patio of the wizards bachelor pad, but zoom back to 100% and you can't see the building, the town, the river next to it because they disappear in the distance.

A global or regional scale map is generally an exageration of the terrain details - you can see the river in the map, but if you were at the elevation to view the region properly, the river wouldn't be visible.

You don't really want a "map" of the actual ground details at every zoom level. A map is a representation, its not reality.

I think its better to have a global, regional, city-level map, and 1" = 5' scale map for your different "zoom" levels, but these are four different maps, not the same one at 4 levels of zoom. Just my opinion.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post Zooming In for a Closer Look

Hey Qin,
    I just picked up the CS3 Suite which includes flash, and I have always liked the idea of a hyper linked and zoomable map to share with my PCs. I think it would be a lot of work but a worth while endeavor. I share my maps via a digital projector (suspended from above and pointed down onto our gaming table) to augment my PnP games so I believe this medium would be extremely effective in immersing my PCs in our world.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    You don't really want a "map" of the actual ground details at every zoom level. A map is a representation, its not reality.
    Reminds me of the wisdom of this Lewis Carroll quote:
    And then came the grandest idea of all! We actually made a map of the country, on the scale of a mile to the mile!"

"Have you used it much?" I enquired.

"It has never been spread out, yet," said Mein Herr: "the farmers objected: they said it would cover the whole country, and shut out the sunlight! So we now use the country itself, as its own map, and I assure you it does nearly as well.

-Rob A>

Rather than a map that can zoom in to the finest detail, I think that if you want this type of effect, it would be better to produce a map that is hyperlinked to sub-maps that show proportionally smaller and smaller areas. This is done really well at numerous sites on the internet (though I can't remember any off of the top of my head). This form of "interactive" map achieves what I think you are trying to do while eliminating the drawbacks already mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Fister View Post
    I share my maps via a digital projector (suspended from above and pointed down onto our gaming table) to augment my PnP games so I believe this medium would be extremely effective in immersing my PCs in our world.
    Now that is super cool, although you might have a shadow problem if people were moving counters on the map. Just to wander into the realms of fantasy for the moment, imagine a gaming table which had surface made of translucent plastic and projecting the image onto it from below.

As for zooming into a vector map, just to add a little to what has already been said, one real problem in doing this is that you would have to manage what information you wanted to be visible at any particular zoom, otherwise if the map was zoomed out you would get a mass of unwanted labels and details.

Quote Originally Posted by Qin View Post
    Has anyone ever done a map in Flash.
    There's one on the Star League Defence Force Mapping Agency website, describing the Battletech Universe in 3025.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Now that is super cool, although you might have a shadow problem if people were moving counters on the map. Just to wander into the realms of fantasy for the moment, imagine a gaming table which had surface made of translucent plastic and projecting the image onto it from below.
    What? Like this
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

I think they're estimated at around $10,000 each.
    More details here and here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast