Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drakonia

Oops, I didn't zoom in, sorry Clercon. Some of the rivers are hard to follow, but this may be that your map is larger. The forests are too strong IMO. Btw: it looks awesome!

Wow! That looks really awesome!

Thanks for the comments, I hope they mean I'm on the right track :-)
    Another small update. I've started to add som shields for the different countries. Just thought I should put it up to see what you think. Is this the way to go? Or am I ruining it all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drakonia6.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	361.3 KB 
ID:	30237  
    Last edited by Clercon; 10-18-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think they look pretty good so far. But I would finish the rest of the map first before going to far with the 'crests'
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well you see that is the problem, finishing the map. I kind of got stuck where I am at the moment, so I decided to try out the 'crests'.
    So how come I'm stuck? Well I think I have to tell you all a bit about the world for that.

This is the third of seven worlds that exist in my fantasy creation. The world was originally inhabited by the people called Drakonians, a kind of humanoids that resembles dragons but walk on two feet and has no wings. In the beginning of the now unknown history they had a civilisation that prospered in richness and knowledge. A kind of everyone is happy world :-)

The Drakoninans was very talented in magic and dreamwalking and after a while they learned how to open doors into the borderland. The borderland is the area between the different worlds that by mistake was created when the false gods (the Archonts) pillaged the original world (Elimo) to create there own seven worlds. Soon the Drakonians discovered that you could travel between the different worlds through the Borderland. To make this story short the Drakonians in the end did build a kind of transfer hallways in the seven different worlds. In this way the humanoids of the seven worlds could start to exchange ideas and goods in an easy way. Well in the end the Archonts felt threatened and decided to try to close the doors between the worlds. This ended with the destruction of the civilisations and the Archonts themselves.

A lot of the worlds got affected in different ways by this war between gods and humanoids. For example the world Arnoria (check my finished maps for a map of Arnoria) lost most of its water and is now a very harsh world to live in. In Drakonia the temperature started to rise and most of the inner lands died. The poles melted and water started to rise. The continent I'm drawing is the last continent to exist in the world and the central parts are mostly dessert, or rather only dessert. The civilisations that do exist lives in the remaining green areas that are close to the vast ocean that surrounds them. These civilisations consist of humans. Of all the seven different humanoids the humans showed up to be the ones best fit to survive and grow in numbers. There are still Drakonians left in this world but they live in distant places up in the mountains or out in the dessert. They tend to live for a very long time, but they reproduce very slowly. They do still have a great knowledge in magic, something that humans have lost since the war.

And now back to the map. My problem at the moment is to make the dessert area interesting. I probably come up with something in the end, it just has to grow in my mind for a while.

:-)
    My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll give it some thought and see if I can come up with any ideas...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

First thing that comes to my mind is ruins, but the scale of the map may make it difficult to depict unless the Drakonians built a massive capitol city that spanned many miles. Perhaps some large canyons created by the war with the gods would be appropriate. BTW I like the history of your realm. =)
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Deserts of sand, deserts of stone, deserts of ash, deserts of bone, deserts of volcanic glass, deserts of rust.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments. I've continued the work on the desert and have tried some different things, not all being great. One of the things was to add some craters in the south west part of the desert. I actually took some pictures of the moon and cut out the craters and put them in the map. I'm also experimenting a bit with different colours, I'm looking at making some part of the desert more redish like mars, and some part black (like a desert of death and pain). I'll see where I end up.

At the moment I'm having a break from the map though. I bought Blood Bowl Legendary Edition so I have to play some more before I continue on this ;-)
    My finished maps

Here is an update of the map. I've added som texture to the desert, some craters and some colour. So what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drakonia7.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	30490  
    My finished maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast