Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: City Improvements Needed

Default City Improvements Needed

Time for a revamp of this map. I started this several years ago and my RMFRP campaign at the time moved away from the area so I never really finished it. But the storyline is coming back to this city fairly soon. So I thought I would make some improvements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darnsbury WIP  0.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	29861  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-02-2010 at 02:57 AM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's pretty cool as is.. I guess you could add some color to the roofs, etc. to help break up all that white.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wonderful map. Seems like it took much time to create. I agree with SG, the other possibility is to change it to a greyscale map.
    Edit: What are those black squares in every building?

Quote Originally Posted by Katto View Post
    Wonderful map. Seems like it took much time to create. I agree with SG, the other possibility is to change it to a greyscale map.
    Edit: What are those black squares in every building?
    They are chimneys.
    I was thinking of colouring and shading the roofs and then adding some extra drop shadows on higher buildings to better show the multi-levels. I wanted to redo the landscape and streets now that I am better with textures. Put some boats in the harbour and so on. The chimneys will blend better once it it coloured and shaded. I can always make a greyscale version from there. (Just for you Katto)

I am hoping to turn this into something really special.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-02-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Made a start on colour and shadow. Whole map and detail attached. Comments and critique invited.

Edit: I aslo added a version that is just the colour layer so that the back ground is not distracting the eye.

Name:	Darnsbury WIP  1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	29914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darnsbury Detail WIP 1 .JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	29915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darnsbury Detail WIP 1 no bg .JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	723.3 KB 
ID:	29927  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-03-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks Great !! I love those buildings
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Aww thanks guys. I did not expect such a positive response at this early stage of the WIP. Now I am worried I'll stuff it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Fantasic work Aval. Were all the buildings hand drawn?
    I used CD3. Some default city tile symbols and some that I made myself. Unfortunately I lost my homemade city tiles when I had to reformat my pc a while ago.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-04-2010 at 07:08 AM.

I like it, but....there is an issue with using the same pattern of buildings as geomorphs over and over.

As can be seen in the attached image, when you join your prebuilt collection of building together, you get into a situation where one of the buildings has no entrance available to it. No one cam get inside, and thus it detracts from the map as a whole.

Name:	Darnsbury Detail WIP 1 no bg .JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	795.3 KB 
ID:	29942  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I like it, but....there is an issue with using the same pattern of buildings as geomorphs over and over.

As can be seen in the attached image, when you join your prebuilt collection of building together, you get into a situation where one of the buildings has no entrance available to it. No one cam get inside, and thus it detracts from the map as a whole.
    The obvious repitition is more of a concern to me that the building entrance thing. As I go through each section, I will now look at varying the roof styles to break that up. So thanks for pointing it out.

When I first made the layout, a long time ago, I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it. Which is why I wanted to revist it and improve it.

As for the 'no entrance' thing...is that really such an issue. The rooms inside the middle section can be accessed via internal corridors. There is no reason why that section can't be an extension of a building with street access.

Edit: After looking at older cities on Google Earth I have noticed that although there are some instances of buildings as I have them, it is actually much more common to have a courtyard or open air walkway. So I guess I will replace some of those locked in buildings with courtyards.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-04-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast