Thread: Converting/Moving from PS to GIMP?

Default Converting/Moving from PS to GIMP?

Hi all,

I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I did try searching, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Basically, I started a map in Photoshop, but intend to finish it up in GIMP.. Problem is, though GIMP will load the PSD without issue, it doesn't maintain all the layer settings, etc...

So I end up with one or two layers with alpha masks, some filled with "clouds", etc, and some with solid colors.. and that's it. Nothing's "melding" together as it should.

Is there some way to restore or maintain the settings from one program to the other? Or might I be better off just starting with the outline of the overall continent shape and going from there? I have a really well-laid out continent setup that I want to work with, and I'd hate to have to start on something new again...

Thanks!

Well, Gimp doesn't have layer styles like PS does, and I'm not sure how well the blending modes translate. Really, the only way to get the map from one to the other without losing how it looks is to flatten it, which, of course, means you lose all ability to edit.

Photoshop and Gimp mostly do the same thing. Why are you wanting to move it from one to the other?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hi there and thanks for your reply

Well, in a perfect world, I would love to open the PSD in GIMP and have it look just like it does in PS. Obviously, we don't live in a perfect world :p.

So, at the very least, I'm trying to figure out how to get the main continent outline (stored in an alpha channel) to "behave". I'm creating a selection from the alpha channel, creating a new layer and then filling it in white.... but for some reason, GIMP seems to want to maintain its transparency, even though I don't have any of the "lock" boxes checked for its layer.

So it's a really weird situation. That I'm a GIMP newbie whose fingers are programmed to want to do PS shortcuts probably isn't helping either heheh.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There is a GIMP 'plug-in' available that's supposed to simulate the Photoshop layer properties but I don't remember what it's called or if its any good or not.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmmm… I'm not 100% sure I know what's going on. What does your alpha actually look like? A black landmass on white? White on black? A thin white outline? I don't work with Gimp, so I can't really give any direct advice, but if we can clarify your question before one of the Gimp users comes along, we'll get you to a solution faster.

I suspect that Gimp is treating the alpha like a real alpha. Every program out there other than Photoshop takes "alpha" to mean "transparency." While storing saved selections in the channel box means you can do some cool stuff, it's a little bit bewildering since you don't often use those "alphas" as real channels. Consequently, when you have a four-channel image, if you haven't explicitly told Photoshop to use one of them as transparency, it can be surprising when another piece of software treats it that way anyway.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name