Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Castle

Default Simple Castle

A simple castle I drew today for fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_01.jpg 
Views:	1676 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	29880  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Pretty cool, are you going to do more floors, etc.?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very cool. I like the details like the buttery no one ever remembers the buttery..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks guys. I guess it was more of a doodle and really trying to find easy ways to just keep adding bits on quickly and keeping it graphic-y and in grayscale. More levels probably coming, SG.

I'm trying to get that look with the cobbles where you just draw a few of them to suggest the whole area is cobbled (like artists do with bricks in walls) but it's just not working...any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_02.jpg 
Views:	2214 
Size:	518.5 KB 
ID:	29931  

Looks cool. The way you've done the cobbles it looks more as if they were covered with plaster which has fallen off in places. What about defining a texture with smaller patches, just hinting at the larger stones or something? Just a bump here and there and maybe some little patches in various places.
    M

I know what you mean, mearrin - it looks horrible as it presently stands.

Still can't quite get there...it's one of those things where you kind of know what it should look like but it's hard to nail. I'm putting it to one side at the moment... thanks for the help!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just use some low-opacity white and cover up the edges with a fade - that way the effect fades in and out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Cobbles, hrm. I had the same issue with my own doodle. I think the key is to think about the cracks, not the stones. If you complete the line around each stone you are essentially defining a stone to the exlusion of others. If you draw just a few cracks that hint at edges or a corner of a stone you leave the brain to conclude that there's more beyond the drawn "thing"
    Name:  cobbleincomplete.png
Views: 1128
Size:  438 Bytes Name:  cobblewhole.png
Views: 1003
Size:  508 Bytes
    Last edited by Crayons; 10-08-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think Crayons has the right of it....At this scale most of all. only draw the stones if you would be able to see them in scale, and at that only a few at a time with those at the edge of the patch being incomplete. At the scale you are at here, you would only see the variation of stones and major repairs so cracks would be sufficient I think. I would'n put too many of them either unless you were gonna grunge things up later. just my own humble opinion, that......

Looks good though. Not too sure on what scale we are looking at here after you put those buildings in. Looks like several of them would fit in the gatehouse.....By the way, how long to do the initial "doodle"?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Default Simple, eh...

Hello, Ravells.

Simple, eh...? I've only one question for you. What does a complex drawing of your entail?

This is a beautiful castle floorplan. I am very impressed with its clean lines yet detailed thoroughness.

You've certainly given me food for thought as well as ideas to try.

< Runs off to find a pencil and paper... >

Looking forward to the castle's further development.

Regards,

Vandy
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast