Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deepwell Fortress

Wip Deepwell Fortress

Three quick sketches that used recently for game/encounter maps. Might go back and add color, or lighting, for fun at some point. The drawings represent an abandoned keep that is one of a set of two. Both are set within a massive defensive structure in an underground city. The East keep (shown) has been damaged by age, a large section of it has collapsed in having been hit by falling debris from the cavern roof far above.

Here is a low detail map showing the surrounding setting for the two keeps. Planned on drawing this too but ran out of time before game night...

Crit and comment are welcome! Cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstFloorb.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	29888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SecondFloorb.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	29887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThirdFloorB.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	29886

Don't you dare touch them...they're beautiful. Welcome to the Guild! And have some rep for posting three very freakin' nice maps. I'm snagging them for my inspiration pile.
    M

NB Just kidding about adding color. These really are great as is but a little color, subtle, might be cool too.

These are wonderful! Exactly what hand-drawn maps should look like. You're getting some rep from me.

Excellent maps!

The only thing I might suggest changing is to also do the text by hand, or find a font that's just a little more rough around the edges.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    To clarify, these are digital sketches, so while they are hand drawn in nearly the same way I sketch on paper, just the pen used is a Wacom tablet. I worked to create a Photoshop brush that comes close to my real-world markers. I have done scanned in drawings in the past, and finished in PS. Just really depends on where I am when I get the idea/time to start a map.

loongtim, Good point. Yeah I should swap out the font for actual hand drawn lettering. When I created this set I was on a deadline for game night so they were pretty fast and loose. No time for super detailing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome..repped!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I'm even more impressed that they're not drawn on paper and scanned. I could not immediately tell that. Must be some nice brushes!
    M

You definitely have some skill with a tablet, I can tell.

As an experiment, I wonder what they would look like if you took them a little further and painted them in PS.
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

armoredgear7: I may work on coloring and improving them if I find time to come back to these. For now the campaign they were made for moves on, and other maps are in the pipe. These served their purpose well and I have found that fully detailed (realistic) maps may stop the players from exploring and asking questions. Here, each scribbled line could mean something so they dig and prompt, occasionally coming up with things I never thought of that I end up integrating.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice maps - a little subtle color and hand lettering and its just perfect
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast