Thread: My First Map (in a while)

Map My First Map (in a while)

Hello all, been a while since I have posted, but I have started making maps again and ended up getting Campaign Cartographer 3 and Dungeon Designer 3. Here is my first map, please let me know what you all think. I used DD3 to make this, after watching almost all of the tutorials posted. I still have a few questions though. How can I make the corners of the walls connect better? (see the bottom right wall) Also, I tried to use a blur and and glow on the road, but couldn't make it work right. How can I make it blend it softly with the grass around it and not leave any sharp corners.

My map.
    Last edited by crazybear; 01-23-2012 at 12:52 AM.

I don't know CC3, but for the road, my understanding is that you would use a sheet effect(or is that layer effect). Not sure about the walls. One issue I see on the wooden ones is due to the bevel effect being used(which I tend to suggest not using). It's not "super" noticeable, but if you look closely, you can see it fairly well and it looks a bit odd.

Also, a few of your doors are askew, and the aliasing on them looks odd(the three on the top of the main hallway to the rooms.) Even with all that said, it's still a fairly nice map... I am sure someone will stop by shortly to give you specifics on CC3/DD.

Personally, I use GIMP and this map would be fairly easy to assemble there given the same components.

EDIT: you might want to scale down the chairs a bit, the seem too large when compared with the size of the beds(or scale up the beds... but scaling up is usually bad)
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 01-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice map Crazybear.
    The chairs in the bedrooms are the ones that look to big. I think if you used the same size as in the tavern it would look OK with the beds.