Thread: [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge: Museums of Manhattan

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge: Museums of Manhattan

With so many folks focusing on post-apocalyptic and other fictional New York maps, my focus has been on conveying actual information in an entertaining way to draw interest. My first project was Central Park, and I enjoyed that thoroughly. This one is a map of the museums of Manhattan. There are a whole bunch of them. I started with a basic map of Manhattan and the surrounding area and laid out the water.

I have a map that I'm using as a style guide. It uses a lot of shore lines so I spent several hours trying to reproduce the feel. I'm sure we all have a good understanding of the limitations of the select/modify/expand command and its siblings. There are some very tell-tale artifacts that surface when using these tools and I was determined to avoid them. I think I've managed that. Comparing this to the original makes it easy to see the difference between this and the cartographer's hand-drawn lines, but they still feel the same. I'm pretty happy with it. Next step is the streets.

If anyone needs the basic land mass outline, which took me about three hours to do, I'll be happy to share.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manhattan.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	29911
    Last edited by torstan; 11-02-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery