Thread: Issa Sofia

Wip Issa Sofia

For NaNoWriMo this year, I'm doing something a little unorthodox for my usual style of writing; I'm doing a science fiction piece. It's based around an expedition in space that crashes into an alien planet. This uncharted alien planet is hospitable to humans, and is in the midst of evolution in the way that Earth was a few million years ago. There's no sentient life. The plants are massive, the land is massive, and the animals are massive.

The space expedition crashes onto this island, called Issa Sofia at the site marked "Crash Site".

The isle itself is named by Harrison Reese (title character of The Medical Journals Doctor of Harrison Reese) after Akhan White's term of endearment for his late "sissa, Sofia". Harrison accidentally caused her death while on the flight to their destination (which they never reached, unfortunately).

Other notes

I had a hand drawn map, and there are differences between it and this one, obviously, but this one is quite different in size as well as landscaping. The mountains are in slightly different positions, et cetera, but somehow, I still managed to make that main river 40 kilometres wide by scale.

For the most part, I used RobA's tutorial (the Artistic Regional Map one), which came in very handy, but I still had to find my own way around a few things here and there. I have a major problem with it, however. A lot of the landscape is supposed to be very hilly, and with RobA's tut, I couldn't replicate it. The bump maps didn't seem to bump it up enough (and it's not supposed to be hilly all over, either, just in certain areas) and I don't want it to look like a bunch of extra mountains. Any and all help in that area would be much appreciated.

I also need a texture for some savannah-like grasses... if anyone has anything like that?

Thanks for checking the map out and all that. *Adios for, like, now*

EDIT: I also just noticed that in 8 hours of work, I forgot to add in a few oases. >.< That'll take at least another half hour tomorrow to sort out, if not more because my computer struggles with images this large.
    Last edited by VincentAlliath; 10-05-2010 at 04:50 AM.

The map is now up on deviantART.