Thread: Mercavur

Map Mercavur

I am absolutely delighted to be here, and thought I'd start by showing what I'd done!

I recently rediscovered the guild, and found several wonderful tutorials that I am absolutely in love with! So, I followed a few, namely Jezelf and Ascension's, and I was amazed at how easy (once I got a few bugs worked out ) it was to create such lively and beautiful maps! So many thanks to Jez and Ascension for their tutorials, and here's my own version of Ascension's Atlas style!

As I was following the tutorial I figured out a few tricks here and there, and as I always do, started making up stories to go with all the names, places, and geographic features. I decided that this continent has been at war for many years, with a recent peace coming to the lands of the continent of Mercavur. It has been a full century since the last war, and so I decided that I wanted a worn looking map, and here's my aged map of the continent of Mercavur!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mercavur Atlas.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	29951
    ~Its only a fall from grace if you don't enjoy it~

Pyro Spyder My Deviantart

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks great, man. That's what I like about mapping, too...once you put yourself on the ground of this newly-created world and start coming up with names then ideas just seem to come out of nowhere and suddenly the world seems alive and you feel a bit like god and storyteller at the same time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

very nice, always a pleasure when more talented people come on board, which seems like about 2-3 every week. Thanks for sharing your work.

Really nice!Waiting to see more...

Thanks for taking a look! (and the compliments too of course!)

@Ascension: Yes, it really does. I can't tell you how many stories I've half-written in my head just from doodling! I love coming up with all the details of the history, mythology, religion and such of places like this. I imagine what these cities and towns look like, what their language might sound like, how their culture functions day to day, and who lives there. Its certainly an opening of the creative floodgates for me!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro_Spyder View Post
    Thanks for taking a look! (and the compliments too of course!)

@Ascension: Yes, it really does. I can't tell you how many stories I've half-written in my head just from doodling! I love coming up with all the details of the history, mythology, religion and such of places like this. I imagine what these cities and towns look like, what their language might sound like, how their culture functions day to day, and who lives there. Its certainly an opening of the creative floodgates for me!
    Great Map !! and The above is SO true.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice. I particularly like the semi-translucent Frozen Wastes. Gonna steal that.
    Thom Ryng

Cruenti Dei Line Editor
    Sardarthion Press

"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one. The commonest kind of trouble is that it is very nearly reasonable, but not quite." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Yup, looks like a good start. A few things that stand out to me, mostly from an Aesthetic point of view:

- The continental shelf: seems very out of place with the rest of the ocean. I think if you blended the edge of the shelf with the sea, it would flow a bit better (no pun intended)

-Mountains : could do with some more definition, particularly the peaks

@Rythal: I usually would have more definition in the mountains, but I decided to soften them up while I was doing the 'aging' of the map in hopes that it looked like it has been on the wall of some guild or magistrate's office and has seen some better years. And I agree on the shelf. My original intention was for it to pop the continent off the page a little more, but I do think in retrospect that it is a little too harsh on the edges.