Thread: Where Do You Get Your Map Borders?

Question Where Do You Get Your Map Borders?

Looking around, most of the maps have really spiffy looking borders and I have no experience with them. I was wondering where everyone got theirs. Is there some secret border stash you all sneak them out of and set them as the top layer in the map? Fancy brushes that conjure them up? Paint them all by hand like some art wizard? What is the secret?

I was feeling the same way a while back and then Arsheesh came to my rescue with this smokin' cool tutorial.

Making-Map-Borders-in-GIMP
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I use my own artwork (New Dawn of the West), sometimes layer effects for the simple ones (Aeran), sometimes putting clipart together (Cruzamento de Rio), but my favourite is going through vector borders and designs (Aedelan Eu).

No secret really - just a matter of thinking up something that will complement the map and going ahead and doing it

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

I make them. For checked borders, I try to align the marks with the coordinate system of the map. Otherwise I generally do a simple double border, maybe with some sort of pattern fill. The curlicue corners in Planisphere of her Majesty's Martial Colony were just the result of playing around with Bezier splines. They really aren't that much work, but then, maybe it's not my maps you were looking at.