Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Random City Map Project

What language is this written in?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Just another thought: If you could somehow link up your generator to the Medieval Demographics generator , you could have a system where your shops are all labelled.

Also, another thought, many street map generators use the L-system. Might be worth a go?

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons View Post
    What language is this written in?
    Mine is just HTML/javascript/CSS. I don't know what the other one linked in the thread is written in.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Just another thought: If you could somehow link up your generator to the Medieval Demographics generator , you could have a system where your shops are all labelled.

Also, another thought, many street map generators use the L-system. Might be worth a go?
    Thanks! I'll look into those.

This is indeed one of the better city generators I have seen so far! I see lots of potential. Would love to be able to set some extra parameters, so you can decide if the map has special buildings like fortresses, a harbor, walls or no walls, etc. With polishing I could see this generator get a lot of use, especially by roleplayers. Good job so far!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks... If I change the approach of this city generator, I will probably follow what they are doing. But currently it is much less complicated and the technologies involved wouldn't allow for it.

Also, I've updated it with a less ordered layout for two of the three main city sections. I started doing the combinatorics for how many maps are possible and I quit in the 100's of 1000s with several more options to consider. Here's the link again: http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplay...s/random_city/

The north section seems to be missing, but apart from that the layout seems the same as the last time? (NSEW and sometimes a 30 or 40 degree street?). Am I missing something?

The north section seems to be missing, but apart from that the layout seems the same as the last time? (NSEW and sometimes a 30 or 40 degree street?). Am I missing something?
    Well, there are only 3 sections. The south section is about 150 degrees of a circle, and east and west are about 100-110 degrees each.

The original idea was to make a city where three rivers meet. (Or more accurately where two meet and then flow on as one.) Then I realized that by leaving any of the three shores as just water then you have a port city with a river through it. And one can join the two land masses for a port without a river. The next thought was that if I have just one section then it is a port where the land juts out a little.

If you set the rotation to "none" then we'll be talking apples to apples regarding which is east, west, and south. The inner parts of the east and west city sections now have two possible layouts. For each section, you randomly get a more square-ish layout or one that has some streets at different angles. The attach pictures show a map with both sections as more square-ish and another map where both have a with less ordered layout. (But you may also get a map that has one section more square-ish and the other less ordered.) Also, the southern section will likely be done tonight.

Is that clear? I'm probably too close to it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcity1.gif 
Views:	230 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	30234

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcity2.gif 
Views:	277 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	30235

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You can look at maps of Pittsburgh, PA to get an idea of how the river situation you describe looks in the 'real world'. Might give you some ideas/inspiration.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12