Thread: Hi, folks - My name is Rik

Guild Apprentice

Post Hi, folks - My name is Rik

Like Krinnen, I'm a new arrival, courtesy of HandsomeRob's recommendation on the ZBB forum to pop over and visit the folks in these here parts of the web.

I've been drawing maps since I could first hold a crayon in my hand (many decades ago), but having checked out some of the maps people have posted on this site I can see I've got a huge amount of learning to do - particularly on how to create fantasy-style maps. I'll be checking out the threads in the map-making discussion boards and asking lots of questions.

I'm currently drawing my maps using a graphics tablet and The Gimp - I love The Gimp. Is it bad form for my first proper post to the forums to be a link to my latest map?

Let me be the first to say....WELCOME TO FANTASY ISLAND!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Rik - If you've got maps to show, show them off! In fact, show off as many as you can; upload as fast as you can upload them. The group here has seen it all--from novice paper-and-pencil to professional grade digital mapping. And even better, they'll comment positively on all of them and offer good feedback, advice, and opinion.

I've only been here a few days, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Welcome to the Guild Rik, and just for you I've hunted down the very first thread that you must read through, and I'm not kidding. This will get you well on your way to excellence, and please by all means post your maps! That's what we're all about after all.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Welcome, Rik! I'm going to back up Cartographist & say to post a lot--but after having seen your first map post I'd also like to encourage you to participate in the discussions, too! You have a good eye and I'm sure will be able to give as much as you get!

Glad you found us!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hi Rik

Welcome, Welcome. Glad to have another Gimp user. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We are blessed to have a Gimp Wizard, in the form of RobA, on this board. He knows a lot.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Welcome, Rik! Looking forward to seeing your work.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Apprentice

Many thanks for the welcome, everybody!