Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What medium is this map drawn in?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question What medium is this map drawn in?

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm a new cartographer wannabe. The type of maps I enjoy most are similar to this one. I think it is drawn by hand with a thin ink pen (or possibly a variety of pens), but I'm not sure. If it is drawn by hand, do you think the typography was also done by hand? If that's the case--I have no chance since my handwriting is horrendous. Anyways, any input, guidance, suggestions, comments, references, or help, would be most appreciated.

The map in question:
    http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/r...orig/north.gif

Second question: Does anyone know who drew this lovely map?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

looks like a graphics tablet or a scanned drawing.

The initials look more like "R. G." to me but it does indeed look hand drawn and labelled.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

You needed to drill "up" the URL a bit then down again

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/read/asoiaf/maps/
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. The image is a map of Westeros from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

Does anyone know what medium the artist might be using? It might be pen, or felt, or a fine-tip sharpie? I'm just not sure.

I get a similar look using super fine-point markers (tips about the size of 0.5mm leads, and larger), although I don't get my lines to be quite so neat. Neatness with drawing utensils has always been a problem for me.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Yeah, I think it may be. Some of the lines are so fine that it seems like it would be pen, but when I tried it with the finest pen I could find, it didn't seem defined enough. I can draw everything similar, except for the text. I have horrible handwriting, even if I take my time. I'm going to try and find a hand-written font online and see if I can match everything up.

Any other suggestions or input on what mediums you think were used would be most appreciated. Does anyone know if someone on this site draws maps like these?

It's almost certainly all drawn by hand either with pen and paper or a graphics tablet. If you look at the text, it's very neat indeed, but not perfect as it would be using an electronic font. Certainly not the capitalized text which appears to be almost deliberately "naive".
    The whole drawing was then probably resized down by a factor of about a half I would estimate. Either as part of a scanning process or in something like Paintshop Pro using "smartsize".
    If your major problem emulating this style is the handwritten text then try using a font like Amiene, Bradley Hand ITC or Pristina.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Thanks, those fonts would work perfect. I can "draw" the bolder, capitalized text but not the simple italicized text for the city names. Would you recommend mixing text formats (like hand-written and PS fonts), or would you stick to just one format?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast