Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of map?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post What kind of map?

Can anyone tell me what kind of map this is? Or its location? Sorry I tried it again.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by sleuthy; 10-09-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: trying to get pic to post

Edit: I retract my statement I made, please put more thought into your posts please.
    Last edited by geamon; 10-09-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Looks like the image did not upload or post correctly.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Can't make out much of the detail...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Can't make out much of the detail...
    I know it doesnt have much detail. Any suggestions as to what the map represents at all would help. I thought it may be some sort of Bureau of Land Management map or something similar. Thanks

Ahh? Why do you care?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I doubt anyone's going to be able to decipher much about it from that image. It appears to depict a lake, and it has some shaded relief. The regular grid seems to indicate that it's a land use tool of some kind, but there's no way of knowing what the blue squares mean without being able to read the legend.

Some kind of context might help—where did the image come from? What was its purpose? That's an old car there, but the image is clearly newer than the car, based on its level of saturation and lack of grain. The unified colors and lighting indicate a professional image, which combined with the dutch angle and the push-pin marks suggest that it was perhaps part of an ad.

The colors also push me into thinking a desert setting, and the low-angle light indicates "magic hour": the time just before sunset or just after sunrise, a popular time for taking photographs. The light could have been created in a studio, though; there isn't enough information in the reflections to say one way or the other. In any case, given the way the map is displayed, it's certain that it is meant to communicate the the location of the car is the location depicted on the map. The rocks holding down the edge tell us that we're supposed to think it is windy, but if it really were, those little pebbles would do nothing to actually hold the map down.

There is some indication of tabs at the corners of the image, but since they're cropped, we can't tell what this picture is affixed to: a wall, a photo album, something else? The paper of the map is crumpled, but not yellowed, nor is there the sort of dirt that always seems to accumulate in maps stored in my car, so I suspect that it's actually a new map that was deliberately wrinkled to make it appear well-used. The car appears pristine—no sun damage, so it is likely stored in a garage, and it's clean, so it hasn't been driving on that dirt evident in the background. The reflection in the lower center area of the cropped frame is sharper than the highlights closer to the light source. We should be seeing a much stronger glint from the paint and chrome over there, so the car was probably treated with a dulling spray to prevent the highlights from overexposing. Also, whoever staged this shot was careful to make the pebbles weighting the map look casual, but the little pile of dirt only touches paper—it is well clear of the car's paint.

That's pretty well everything I can glean from the image.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

The photo of the 1964 Pontiac Lemans or GTO with the map on the hood is part of the clue in a trivia contest. I thought that maybe the members of this forum would be able to shed some light on the map itself. The rest of the clue reads, "There's Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Overland Trail, Yosemite Falls, even Route 66.
    Sure, they are all found on a map, but it's possible to see them all in a single state.
    Shed some light for us -- which state?" It seems easy but the questions/clues are often very tricky.

My first reaction was that it might be a map depicting allocation plots for oil drilling/exploration. However, I suspect it may be a shooting zone map? It may not be desert. If that is a lake it has a very angular island in it!

EDIT: try looking at this site?
    http://www.kmlers.com/montanahunting...ershipmap.html

EDIT2: I think the answer to your clue might be "In orbit" or "from space"

oh cripes

EDIT3: Bureau of Land Management Map, yes, but I don't think the map is important for the clue particularly?
    Last edited by Crayons; 10-09-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added link
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Death Valley and Yosemite Falls are in southeastern California, Grand Canyon is in northwestern Arizona, and Route 66 goes from Chicago to Los Angeles south of the Grand Canyon...you could probably fly one of the ufo's out of area 51 or maybe a hot air balloon out of Vegas and go straight up in the air and see all of these if you go high enough. Overland Trail goes from Atchinson KS to Salt Lake City UT were it merged with the California Trail to go through Nevada and cross the Sierra Madres. My first guess would be that you could see all of these from a place of elevation over Las Vegas...like really high elevation as in a plane or satellite. Seems a lil wonky so it's probably something like "a state of orbit" or something like that. Or maybe there's a river around there that you could kayak down and cross by these places. Lake Mead is near this area but the map doesn't show Lake Mead. Since there's a car I would guess the Interstate (as in highway).
    Last edited by Ascension; 10-10-2010 at 07:54 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast