Thread: Hello from another old timer

Guild Applicant

Info Hello from another old timer

Hi all,

What a great site! I've been lurking for the past week or so and I'm very impresssed. I found the guild when I was searching for map styles in an effort to figure out what to do about my D&D Campaign world map and boy are you folks talented.

I'm trying to sort out what my priorities are right now, as I have some world building to do (from the details side), campaign planning to do for each session plus I would like to have a complete map of the world.

I guess my first game of D&D was somewhere around 1979 but I didn't play a serious campaign until university in 1988. I've been playing ever since, germinating ideas and my campaign world was born in 2003. It is called Eagonia and while I have a lot of details figured out there is more that needs to be developed. I took a hiatus for 4 years to get married and have two kids and I'm now re-starting my campaign online.

Somewhere in the middle there my hard drive caught fire (no word of a lie!) and my Fractal Mapper source files were corrupted. I'm going to count that as a blessing since it encouraged me to look at my maps with a critical eye and decide to improve them which brought me to you!

So, long introduction over, I'll be starting up a WIP thread. I am virtually hopeless at the visual arts so I'll be seeking lots of advice and any friendly help I can find.

SLB

Advise is something that is never lacking here at the Guild. I'm sure you'll be putting out fantastic maps in no time.

Welcome to the Guild, and good luck to you!

-IG

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Indeed, welcome to the guild!

Guild Applicant

Oh, something I forgot to ask - it's clear that the river police have a near legendary status...so is there a corresponding desert/wasteland police? Or swamp? I've no doubt that my current map is in violation of the laws of nature so I'll be on my best behaviour with the law enforcement.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! 1979 I can almost remember that year (also the year I discovered D+D)..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SLB View Post
    Oh, something I forgot to ask - it's clear that the river police have a near legendary status...so is there a corresponding desert/wasteland police? Or swamp? I've no doubt that my current map is in violation of the laws of nature so I'll be on my best behaviour with the law enforcement.
    There are numerous learned scholars of geography here that will be glad to help you if your looking for a realistic world.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome to the Guild. Many grognards here. The River Police are the only official geographical enforcement organization...but there are some folks that can offer sage advice on other subjects.
    M

Welcome to the guild. In the tutorial section you will find lot of interesting how-tos for you to start developing great maps :-)
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.