Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern reaches of Ewlah

Guild Apprentice

Map Northern reaches of Ewlah

Hi, folks.

My constructed world is called Kalieda - it's existed for over three decades in my head. The world has 3 continents, only one of which (Ewlah) is currently inhabited. The continent stretches from 50degN to 10degS and is surrounded by ocean on all sides. Oceanic plates are pressing in on it from the north, east and west, and there is a fair amount of mountain building and volcanic activity going on.

Kalieda is not one of those planets you can just land on and start farming - soil has to be "brewed" before it will support terrestrial life. This limits the various settlements and plantations. Also, the planetary system has recently entered a dust cloud, triggering climate change.

Anyways, the map: I drew this using the Gimp. I first made a greyscale digital elevation map of the continent, then did Gimpstuff to get the mountains, then added colours, rivers, borders, labels, etc. I've uploaded a sample of the map for comments - the whole map is over the filesize limit for uploading!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ewlah-example.png 
Views:	2178 
Size:	580.6 KB 
ID:	1769  

Well done, Rik! Wow--this is very rich and interesting. Impressive! Did you complete larger zooms of the "provinces" too?

Great!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Well done!! I take my suggestion to read RobA's thread, and instead I'll ask if you can create a tutorial yourself of how you put this together.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Yes, Tutorial please!

I've never used GIMP, but, maybe I should start
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hi Rik!

I love what you are doing (GIMP you say?)

The colours are nice and subtle, the relief is very nicely executed. I like the details like the river valleys being greener than the surround terrain. And your rivers are beautiful - I know it is much easier to make them using a tablet!

Can you share some of your techniques?

-Rob A>

Also forgot to add - GIMP 2.4 can shape text to a path (or at least create a text outline path that can be used to the same effect)... This would allow you to change the linear labels on the rivers (the one thing that jarred for me).

-Rob A>

RobA, can you elaborate on how Gimp 2.4 shapes text to a path? I really need that feature.

I remain
    Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

What a beautiful map! It reminds of the 'atlas' style that HandsomeRob posted up.

Such dedication to put in a 'realistic' number of rivers. I'm always staggered when I look at a real world atlas and see how many rivers there are in any reasonably populated landmass. The colour gradations are beautiful and I would love to see a tutorial too!

Ravs

I love your choice of color, it appease my eyes when I look at it.

The only thing that tickles me is that you should put all the names at the horizontal to make the reading easier. Also, I would put country border in the same color as the border name.

Also, a tutorial would be great, because we never get enough of them.

Keep up the good work,
    Alu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast