Thread: Infinite Dungeon mapping

Default Infinite Dungeon mapping

I've come up with a concept for my GURPS Dungeon Fantasy of a magical world created in an Elemental plane of earth so there is no topside, there is however pocket dimensions some as large a a few miles squared and some areas that have such a high ceiling that there is a clouded light source (if you have ever seen Journey to the Center of the Earth 2008 with Brendan Fraser you know what I mean). Cities are called Warrens and villages Burrows, there was a decisive design to most of it with the legend of the 12 Architects (12 very powerful golems that do nothing but build). Many warrens are built like Skyscrappers in a way. Long rectangular structures with tunnels/halls going off from them. Some as many as 15 levels!

So having a concept I need to come up with a proper way of mapping this world. I've had a few ideas like using a form of Tube Maps (subway), Geomorphs (vertical and horizontal), Old school mapping maybe for large areas and more detailed maps for battle maps?

I'd love to have any suggestions on some ways to accomplish this. I will be placing it in a Wiki I have CC3 and all the expansions and most of the annuals and Photoshop CS2.

Thank you in advance!

Here is a link to a You Tube video of Random Level Generator for Blender. You can see towards the end the large skyscraper idea that I was talking about.
    Last edited by Highland_Piper; 07-17-2011 at 06:35 AM.

because of the scale, id approach the overland (overcavern?) map the same as i would regularly - caves and large pockets marked like cities and tunnels marked like roads. there would be plenty of marked offshoots, however id leave most of them unmapped so that i have room to improvise; plus it would be a little crazy to mark every little nook and cranny.
    Who is John Galt?

Neat Idea ...
    And especially neat world (yet ambitious and promising to quite a challenge ...)

This concept makes me think of J. G. Ballard's short story, "concentration city" ... a must read !

Good luck with the project !
    If I was to set myself on such a project, I guess I'll reason the whole city in neighbourhoods or districts, each with its own character, feel, density, and urban fabric, assumingly depending on the mood of these golems, at the time they were building said district ...