Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet another, H!: Keep on the Shadowfell map

Wip Yet another, H1: Keep on the Shadowfell map

Map is finished: Look here!

// Edit Level 1 of the keep is done. Look further down.

Hi all.

This is my first map ever in photoshop. I used to do maps in hand last time I gm'ed 12 years ago, but this time around, I'm trying with photoshop.

I'm doing the H1 keep. I know its been done over and over, but its the first game I'm gonna GM in awhile, and I wanted to do something where I could get a lot of inspiration from maps
    that already has been done.

So far I have learned a lot about map making in photoshop from reading here, and by trial and error by myself.
    Bevel's are very nice when doing something in 2D. They make things look more realistic.
    Shadows give items the illusion of depth.
    Good textures mean a lot.

All objects you see in the map are done entirely in photoshop by myself.
    Most item's have been textured by filterforge. An awesome plug in for PS. Would have been lost without it.

First piece I'm gonna post that's almost done is Area 4. It's still missing doors and random "mess" items. But it gives a good idea of what I'm trying to make.
    I hope you will like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Area4.jpg 
Views:	1648 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	30078  
    Last edited by cadric; 07-24-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Finished

Wip

Just wanted to add one of the item's I have been making. It's for room 2. But It show's of some of the object's I'm trying to make.
    When I'm done, if I get done, then I will release all objects as png and psd, if someone will find them useful.

Name:	table.png 
Views:	435 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	30079  

The objects are awesome. Nice work. Only thing that makes me cringe is the white background. If you're using a VTT software like Maptool I suggest completing the entirety and then overlaying on black color there which works well. As long as you are having fun and learning in the process there is no problem with redoing maps. Welcome to the club!!
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

The white background is not final by far. It's just there for the purpose of being white right now with the preview :p
    And I'm glad that you like the objects

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks Great I love the objects .
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Excellent work, if this is the 1st stuff you are attempting I think you will do really well.

As another comment or inquiry. Is this the resolution you are working with?
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

DevinNight: This is my first map in photoshop. Only other thing I have done before are some small backgrounds for websites and a single complete skin for phpbb called fae forest (which is horrible outdated by now I believe)

geamon: The map preview is also the resolution the final will be in as that fits my needs. The grid is 39x39 and the final map (level 1 of the keep) is around 2500x2500 in 72 dpi. All objects are made as 1000x1000. Some are smaller and some are bigger. Doing that so I can use the objects in closeup of rooms later.

A little small to me I prefer 100 dpi/ppi, plus 100 is an easily divisible number. Up to you , as long as you put thought into it. I know it's harder to find good textures to work with at higher resolutions.
    Cheers, Julien

Wip

Well it's been awhile. But I finally managed to get level 1 done. To make a long story short, I didn't complete the "original" map I started with for a lot of reasons and last week I decided that it was time to reboot this map and started over with everything except objects.

So here we are with level one of Shadowfell keep. The aim was as original to make a semi realistic look of the keep and I do think I managed that sorta. I'm still not happy about everything and I rushed some of the last objects like doors. So they might be redone at some point. The plan is now to get level 2 of the keep done in the same style. No promise on when that will happen tho. But possible soon, since I got players that are going to reach that point in short time.
    I have uploaded the full PSD to my server and if you wish, you can explore it to see how the map is done in more detail. Just one warning. The psd is rather large. 110.089 KB.

Anyway I hope you will like the map.

The map fits maptools standard grid of 50x50. ( I am going to use this myself, so maybe I will get a version out with blocking layers and stuff.)
    The map is done in Photoshop CS5 at 300 dpi and it has 250 layers. The finished size is around 3500x2878

High Quality PNG file: http://platoon.dk/dnd.maps/shadowfel...fellLevel1.png - 8.989 KB
    The .PSD File: http://platoon.dk/dnd.maps/shadowfel...fellLevel1.psd - 110.089 KB

Name:	shadowfellLevel1.jpg 
Views:	2162 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	33482  
    Last edited by cadric; 02-14-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast