Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Of Shendenflar Setting Map

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map Kingdom Of Shendenflar Setting Map

Well here it is. I can't quite belive that after twenty odd years The Kingdom has a nice permanent home.. Obviously this is the "right" half of the giant World Of Greyhawk Campaign Setting Map as that's where Shendenflar is set. The approximate year is CY (common year) 587 just after the Greyhawk Wars have ended. I haven't called out the "new" Empire of Iuz or the restructring of the Great Kingdom as in this time many things (such as political borders) are still in flux in the Flanaess. Also I was going for more of a "artsy" type feel with this map. This map was made in GIMP with the basic outlines and all of the major features "hand drawn" and then filled in with various colors. I also used various mountain brushes to call out the large mountain ranges and smaller versions for the hills. I have to say that I am very proud of this map and am looking forward to having it printed out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shendenflar region.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	30132
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-12-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: updated version of map
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Great map JT. Really nostalic D&D feel to it.

Before you pint it out, please have a look at your river layer and your border though. Do all the tributarries meet up with rivers? Do you all rivers start where rivers are supposed to start? Are there any lines or gaps near the border? Don't want to print it out only to have something bug you later.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Nice map jtougas.
    I only have one complain about it (and you have to blame aval for that with his post) two of your rivers i.e. the one below Senbriel and the one passing throw Udgru forest seem like they are climbing a mountain and then going back down which doesn't look right.But since the mountain symbols are handmade I think that I can live with that.
    Repped!

Edit: At least I hope that I repped you.

Pretty good map. Unfortunately not my choice for style, but I'm a weirdo. I'll have to try a continental/regional/world map soon. Have some rep!
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone !! (I posted an updated version with all the fixes..thanks for pointing the river issue out again a case of staring at it for a few days and missing the obvious.. )
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

It's been several years since I looked at the Greyhawk map, but it seems to me your scale bar doesn't match what I remember. IIRC, each hex on the old map was about 30-35 miles, basically a day's travel. You've got it at 1 inch (or so) is 35, which is maybe 4 or 5 hexes in width. That drastically shrinks the scale of the continent. Of course, I could also be mis-remembering the old map.

Oh, and this is a nice rendition, btw. Well done.
    Last edited by Master TMO; 10-14-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Man, 30-35 miles a day? That's alot of walking. From my understanding people who are well trained and in shape and used to walking perform maybe 20 miles in a day.
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

20 miles a day? You guys serious? I guess american/english miles ent the same as norwegian mil..

Well I personally use km's which is the usual measure of distance(and I think you use as well?). But 32ish km's is possible in a day of walking.
    Cheers, Julien

Yeah, well, not very sporty myself sorry xD But, km is what I usually use, yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast