Thread: [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge: Gruunika, Viking Colony in the New World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge: Gruunika, Viking Colony in the New World

okay, i'll jump in the pot. I at first tried to think what new york would look like in Post Apocalyptic, but i decided too many people were doing that idea so i went the other way. taking evidence from viking explorers, we'll play with a What If scenario and go with that idea. My map is going to be hand drawn old style, maybe using gimp but i'm not sure. we'll see. i'll put up a hand drawn version and then go from there.

my idea is this: Gruunalf Isdahlsson, a viking warlord, following on legends and rumors of a fabled new world across the Great Sea, led his people across the sea and washed ashore in the new world, near long island. through the years, he encountered a hostile native population, other natural disasters, and plague. the folk were hardy, and survived these trials to start a thriving community of settlers. word reached the old world, and bit by bit new folks started coming over, lured by tales of adventure and trade with the new colony. Thus, Naaryik was born, and survives three hundred years later, living in peace with the natives, and growing into a thriving town. my starting time is roughly 1250 AD, with walls, a keep or fortress of some kind, and a wharf district. this is more of an experiment for me anyway, so whether i get a prize or not, its something to get me motivated to do some mapping. good luck to all!

for some reason its not letting me change the thread title. i didn't mean to take a name that was close to another thread name. sorry

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What title do you want changed, the thread or the post?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.